Supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade

The inconsistency for me is that Republicans overwhelmingly wanted the abortion decision to to be left to the woman and her doctor yet they vote for Republican politicians in their states who are passing legislation to restrict that right.

they probably like republican politicians despite the fact that they are passing legislation to restrict that right, not because of it. they are likely mostly indifferent to abortion rights and assume it won’t affect them.

i think my trumpkin relatives fall in that bucket. they don’t really care about abortion, but i’m guessing if pressed are pro-choice.

1 Like

Maybe I haven’t had enough coffee but how do you interpret the responses to the last question?

73% know someone who has had an abortion and 25% don’t and 2% aren’t sure? Reverse the 73/25? (73% seems like a lot to me, but maybe not?)

What does the 87/4/9% in the lower right mean?

If you think that’s inconsistent, wait until you see this question asked by the same polling company

ETA: here’s the whole thing if anyone cares to see the rest of the questions: Two-Thirds Support Codifying Abortion Rights as Court Favorability Continues Decline | Navigator

^This^

To a pro-choice Republican (as I formerly considered myself) abortion is probably less important than things like economic and foreign policy, gun rights, national defense, immigration policy & border control. So they vote for the politicians who agree with them on those issues rather than vote for a politician who disagrees with them on all of that stuff but has a more favorable abortion position.

I think I’ve said similar in this thread.

1 Like

It’s quite easy to “know” someone.
In middle school we had a girl who was widely known for having had an abortion. So anyone at the school would answer “yes” to “know someone who has had an abortion”. And that’s at age like 13?

I assume near everyone will have known someone with an abortion well into their adulthood.

73% is not a lot, but i didn’t find out that someone had an abortion until decades later. people don’t really advertise this.

1 Like

So it’s 73% do know someone and 25% don’t?

I’m sure I know people who have had abortions and I didn’t know about it because it’s not something most women advertise.

But I didn’t meet someone that I knew had had an abortion until meeting one of my in-laws who hubby happened to mention had been taken in by his parents after having an abortion. Had this gal been comfortable staying with her own parents I probably would not know to this day that she’d had an abortion. I was in my 40s.

I’m still confused by what the lower right graph means.

a dipshit facebook friend was loud and proud about how his girlfriend from 20 years ago had an abortion and said people should proudly update their status updates to proudly proclaim this too in support of roe v wade, but i think people like that are not the majority. get an abortion if you have to, but being proud of it is stupid. it’s not something to be proud of.

i wound up trolling him calling him a baby murderer and he unfriended and blocked me.

1 Like

I don’t understand why the bottom answer is so different on the right vs the left either.

If you look at the asterisk for “know someone” it has a footnote at the bottom: someone in your household, a close friend, or a family member.

To me, the bottom graphs look conditional, just like the segments above: of those who know someone, 73% describe themselves as pro choice and 87% want the decision to be between a woman and her doctor.

3 Likes

This is how I interpreted it as well

1 Like

ooooh, so it’s not that 73% who are pro-choice know someone. i also didn’t see the footnote where they defined “know someone”. if it’s know like anyone on the planet, then that number is actually low.

Oh, that’s totally different from my interpretation. But makes sense.

So they’re not telling us the numbers for “don’t know someone” then.

I wonder if we can modify that question a little:

If the general election for U.S. Congress were today, for whom would you vote?

A Democrat who supports the right to an abortion up to the moment the fetus takes its first breath?

A Republican who wants to ban abortions nationwide?

Yeah, the labels on the left are subsets of people. The bars are PC, DN, PL of that subset. It works all the way down.

And yet there are 6 unreasonable ones on the Supreme Court.

1 Like

This is called being pro-choice…

5 Likes

I agree with you, but I suspect that some who find abortion sinful / morally wrong are uncomfortable with the “pro-choice” label.

:rofl:
ain’t that the truth