SUMO!

Looking forward to watching Hakuho again (I hope) – Kakuryu is out with an injury (AGAIN… time for him to retire)

I also miss the cheering & cushion throwing, but that will come back by the end of the year, I bet.

In the meantime, here is a sumo video w/ one of my favorite wrestlers:

On my favorite sport:

1 Like

Isn’t Sumo fixed?

Not now, but yes, it had been:

March tournament preview!

Day 1 Highlights coming up at 12:30 EDT

Day 2 review!

Day 3:

Day 4:

You don’t have to watch NHK live – there are on-demand videos:

Okay, all the excitement has been with Enho in Juryo

Just amazing bout. Enho is my height and about 40 pounds heavier than me.

He is usually up against men who are much heavier than him, so he has to be extremely clever/surprising to win often. And he used a move that hadn’t been seen in 24 years in Juryo. Last seen March 1997. Wow.

A longer, higher-quality video w/ some of the stats

1 Like

Ugh, big stink about a wrestler who has been paralyzed in a bout:

The issue is that the ring (the dohyo) is raised several feet and wrestlers get injured when they fall outside the ring. This has long been a problem, and they’ve obviously got NO protocol for dealing with serious injuries in a bout. They’ve got completely inadequate resposes.

Congrats to Terunofuji!

Some people were talking about him being the next Yokozuna, and I could see it… but we gotta wait for Hakuho to retire, I think.

ART!

One of my fave wrestlers:

I think he needs to be at juryo at least one more tournament before getting back to makuuchi.

My favorite was Masashimaru since he rose through the ranks when I lived in Honolulu. Akebono was just past his best and hurt a little more but was still good and Konishiki was decent. Musashimaru just had a great look with a deep brow.

1 Like

I saw sumo for the first time in the 90s, when I visited Japan, but had no way of keeping up with sumo back then.

So I started watching again within the past 5 years. It’s been a lot of fun.

so graceful

These photos seem better suited to the new caption every day thread.

Enho & Hakuho training session