Spring 2021 CAS Exam 9 Thread

Not to stress you all out with how incredibly far along I am, but I nearly finished leisurely reading the entirety of Chapter 6 from the Investments source over the weekend

Get back to us after you finished Chapter 10. Lol. Your head should be spinning by then.

Just signed up for the exam. I guess I should have learned my lesson about waiting to register now that Pearson VUE is proctoring. The closest testing center to San Francisco with an available appointment was in Medford Oregon.

Keep checking. I took advantage of the Illinois closures last sitting to get a later date, but it was out of state. Checked maybe once every other day for about two weeks, and there was usually at least one new date, until finally a local option for the same time emerged.

I know quite a few people who double registered because they are not sure which exam they will write. I would suggest to check shortly after exam results as people cancel one of the registrations.

Howdy everyone… nice to see so many familiar names.

I know we were suppose to talk about exam questions, but what if I have question on the statistical side of a question? Is it ok if I change the numbers, and perhaps some of the conditions? Or we can’t even ask questions related to statistical concepts?

I would not do it. You can ask about topics you don’t understand. But, I wouldn’t frame it in anyway that it can be interpreted otherwise.

1 Like

… so in a way a person that hasn’t write the exam can ask anything, but someone that wrote it would really have to watch how he asks questions… like I am at a loss at how I could ask cause doesn’t matter how I ask, I am giving away something about the question.

Agreed; I understand the value of having a question bank, and I understand that in doing so it is better that all candidates equally are blind to what questions those might be, but it makes asking questions more difficult.

On one hand, if you can ask your question in the context of a similar past exam problem or study manual problem (CC, RF etc.), then you can probably get the answer you are looking for. On the other hand if the question is in a form that hasn’t been asked before, I’m not sure how you can talk about it.

I think I stated this before. If I fail, the questions I didn’t know how to do, I will not be able to find out what information I need to do to understand that specific set of material better.

I get what you’re saying. I feel like if I fail, I’m not going to exactly know what the cause was. The couple of problems I know I didn’t do well were ones I could have probably studied more for, whereas the oddball questions were ones I think I did okay with considering they weren’t asked before.

My biggest question is how did my documentation/work flow look in the spreadsheet vs. a hand-written exam. I usually over-document my work when I write stuff down. I tried to still be thorough, but honestly got flustered at the very beginning of the exam with the new environment, lack of reading period, not seeing everything on one “page”, etc. Eventually I moved to an easier question and got my confidence back but I just wonder, I guess, how different grading is now. Is problem grading more straightforward with formulas now? Is it more difficult? So many unknowns.

2 Likes

Also, I am being a bit salty about the fact that exam 8 will have an extra sitting this year, while 7 and 9 won’t get that.

My documentation was probably not great.

I imagine that is why the CAS wanted extra time to grade. Precisely because people were rushed and didn’t do great documentation and had many reference errors.

I’m trying to get a little clarity around the idea in Feldblum about needing a rate of return to satisfy investors. Here’s a quote:

The insurer has a financial incentive to write the policy if the internal rate of return exceeds the opportunity cost of this equity capital. But what return do investors demand for the use of their money? If the capital market is efficient, then the returns. achieved by investors is an indicator of the returns needed to elicit equity capital, assuming that all other factors remain steady. If the returns that investors achieved were less than what they demanded, they would withdraw some capital.

The thing is, investors don’t really get to withdraw capital, do they? If they sell their stock, that means there is someone else buying. The insurance company isn’t out any actual money. The capital a company has is what it is, and it grows or shrinks based off of ongoing investment and underwriting results, not whether the markets think the company’s stock gives a good return.

Maybe what Feldblum meant, is that the investors would decrease their ongoing investments, relative to what they would have been if returns had been what they demanded.

If investors start selling the stock price will most likely decrease and capital in the company will decrease as a result.

This is true, all the buying and selling is in a secondary market (where an IPO is the primary market). Really the share price just gives the company a good idea of what a liquid market would offer were they to look to raise additional capital.

In what way did the CAS want extra time to grade? The last people to sit for the exams did so on January 31st. The graders can’t start the “regrade people close to the passmark” until all the first grades have been submitted, and the exam officers know that no more questions can come up about this paper with a really different answer, or whatever.

If you ask your question in the context of the syllabus, rather than in the context of an exam-style question, you should be okay.

The rule the moderators are requesting is:

1. If you sat for an exam, don’t talk about anything syllabus or question related until after the exam window ends. Too easy to hint at what was emphasized or skipped, don’t risk it.
  2. Don’t do anything ever to reveal the specific exam questions.

There were LinkedIn posts from members of the CAS thanking graders for grading during the holidays. These posts were the beginning of December. I believe the post mentioned over 4500 tests were administered and were being graded.

So were there a lot of additional tests administered after December 9th? If so, I understand. If you are talking about like five exams being administered than that makes less sense to me. You are right, I really have no idea how many additional tests were administered after December 9th.