Spring 2021 CAS Exam 9 Thread

What am I? A nerd, mostly.

2 Likes

I bet you use a map hack :laughing:

Precisely the ones you canā€™t talk about! Crazy like that. If I fail, I have no idea how I will understand those pieces of material better.

Yeah the questions I wasnā€™t comfortable with felt just like they were testing how well you can think on the fly. I think I came up with reasonable answers for them, but who knows.

I think people will pass or fail based on how they did on 3-4 questions. Because everyone else will be about the same for the rest.

I definitely donā€™t agree with that. Most people probably werenā€™t prepared enough to do very well even on the ā€œeasyā€ questions. I doubt most people were about the same on most questions.

No way. Your talking about exam 9 man. We are all pros.

I can tell you this when I got a 5 last time. You needed a 73.3% to pass. I probably got around a 70%. That test was mad hard too. Not as hard as this test.

In my personal opinion, the IQ will play a huge part in whether people pass or fail and those other couple of questions.

I hope your right though.

Lol you and me both. Seriously though, I think on the upper exams a lot of the time peopleā€™s lives get in the way (work responsibilities, kids, etc) so they end up being a bit underprepared compared to what they could/should be.

And I think some of it is the CAS not knowing what it really wants in exams or its candidates and misunderstanding how probability distributions of populations work as you get out into the tails of those distributions.

But ā€¦ thatā€™s a rant for another thread.

I think the CAS is going to have a really hard time with the pass mark on this exam. Will be interesting to see if they release the pass percentages. I would not be surprised if it goes from above 50% to sub 40% or lower.

Weā€™re just gonna have to wait until early February and see.

I keep debating with myself whether I should study in the interim.

Maybe spend an hour every couple days flipping through some flashcards just to refresh some of the formulas but I wouldnā€™t do much more than that beforehand. Who knows though. Iā€™ll have my fingers crossed that we donā€™t have to sit for this one again.

Iā€™m kind of studying, but being stuck in The 'Poā€™s version of The 'Po, right now I just want to get out and back home and back into my comfort zone so Iā€™m slow-walking it right now.

Iā€™m going back through notecards to see what I had written down from past aborted attempts and what I might need to yet fill in. Also kind of reading (more than skimming, less than scrutinizing) a few papers that I know I donā€™t know well. Kreps, Mango, the back half of the Robbin UW paper. Itā€™ll all get serious in (allegedly) a few days.

I was successfully putting it off with the excuse that I didnā€™t have access to the main source of the exam and didnā€™t want to get a physical copy until results were confirmed but now you meddling kids have completely undone my excuse!

My fear for next sitting is that they can test stuff they could not test before without computer, more room for twists. I am afraid more marginal theoretical stuff may make way into exams and unless you review source inside out, youā€™re not likely to pass.

Just wait until I get serious about it. Then youā€™ll have a reason to get serious about it.

This is amazing, thank you!

No problem, glad to help out!