Solstice!

In a world of spirits good and ill may you share joy and celebration with your loved ones to the dawn. In a world of harvest and want may you share your bounty with those you love measuring the boon of the coming year. In a world of facts and perception may you mark this point of relative extremum in the observable elevation of the sun. In whatever world you choose may your day and night be a good one.

A solargraph taken from the Atacama Pathfinder Experiment at the Llano de Chajnantor Observatory in the southern hemisphere. This is a long-exposure photograph, with the image exposed for six months in a direction facing east of north, from mid-December 2009 until the southern winter solstice in June 2010.[6] The Sun’s path each day can be seen from right to left in this image across the sky; the path of the following day runs slightly lower until the day of the winter solstice, whose path is the lowest one in the image.

3 Likes

Something to unite us, a shared history of curiosity and observation.

Happy solstice!

1 Like

Nice list!
I’ve been wondering who was first to predict eclipses and such. Solstices probably came first, as they would be something observable and countable on a yearly basis, and thus probably recorded somehow before that.

1 Like

Possibly, the Eclipse of Thales.

1 Like

Evening meal menu went over well.

• Hors d’oeuvre tomato and gruyere cheese on fried whole wheat toast
  • Soup was a consumme of beet and celeriac
  • Salad was kohlrabi and daikon on a bed of greens
  • Main course was a potato and celeriac tortilla with pan fried mint marinated lamb chops.
  • Dessert was a deconstructed blackberry cheesecake

I’m quite happy with this menu. The hors d’oeuvres, soup, and tortilla stand out with the soup reaching Michelin star restaurant quality.

Happy solstice!

1 Like

Not only solstice, but it’s the day of the year with the least minutes of daylight and the longest night. From here on out, days get longer until summer!

And in an even bigger coincidence, it’s also the 1st day of winter!

3 Likes

I keep forgetting to wake up early enough to see where on the horizon the sun rises. I’ll try not to forget to look for the sunset.

Same as the Saturn Sky, different model year though

1 Like

Fun fact: the solstice is neither the latest sunrise NOR the earliest sunset. It’s just the day with the least amount of time between the two.

3 Likes

Fun fact 2: Grape-Nuts contain neither grapes, nor nuts. Discuss amongst yourselves.

ETA: I think the Saturn looks better than the Pontiac.

1 Like

Fun fact 3: You can balance an egg on its end during the equinox…and also the solstices…and also the other 361.25 days in a year

Solstice for the rest of us!

1 Like

You aren’t wrong, but this thread is about the Solstice.

OK. The Solstice looks worse than the other one, because the Solstice looks like a squished jelly bean with wheels, not a sporty car.