SK doctor strike

Anyone following this? I find it difficult to be on the side of the doctors since they are protesting an increase in the number of doctors in country that needs more of them.

I find it interesting because our own profession also has barriers that are claimed to be high for the purpose of increasing salaries although of course the governing bodies will deny this. If tearing down the barriers is the right thing to do for society, would you support it?

I have because it mirrors the UK.

They want more Doctor’s coming in at a lower salary in the future. (Increase supply to lower salaries)

But they want to keep the same extreme hours for the job (which are all sorts of crazy in SK).

Thats simply never going to work.

Actuarial “barriers” are governed by exams, as are medical barriers. You can’t really fix that unless you drastically lower exam standards.

1 Like

Eh no real good way to fix the issue

Paying physicians more won’t help with burnout

Opening the floodgates and credential Ing a bunch of low tier doctors is not super optimal either. I wonder if they have nurse practitioners and physician assistants in SK to help with case loads, especially since most people seeking medical attention will probably be fine on their own given some time to rest and recover….

By all means, allow in more actuaries.

I’m sure plenty of people can do and want to do what we do.

Who wants to talk negative IMR with me?

What about negative IMR?

What do you think of the limited time nature of the NAIC allowing negative IMR (well, just some) as an admitted asset?

I think IMR is an accounting construct that should disappear as PBR takes over. If the regulators were interested in fairness or consistency, they shouldn’t limit negative IMR, but they are most interested in solvency, so I get why they are reluctant to permit.

Nice drift!

I talked to someone from SK. Accordingly-

Almost all medical care there is on a FFS basis, and the government sets the rates, which are too low to afford MDs a high salary, even though clinics are very efficient at herding patients through (less paperwork, good assembly line, less defensive medicine, etc.)

So if their reimbursements are too low are they trying to make it up with volume? Hence not wanting more doctors?

I think they’re already making it up with volume to the extent practical, and their incomes are still lower than they’d like (certainly lower than in the US), because there’s a limit to how much a clinic can pay its doctors and still break even. I don’t know the answer to your other question.

If each doctor is maxed out on volume as it is and there are material waits then they should be ok with adding more doctors.

But I assume they’re scared that too many more will be added… dunno.

SK Govt doesn’t seem to mess about.

Harsh response.

I love it. Don’t wanna work? Fine, don’t work. In fact, you can’t work.

Well the thing is, I heard getting into med school was so hard that it boils down to missing 1 or 2 questions on the entrance exam. If they increase the number of students, they’ll be letting those losers who missed 3 questions and we can’t have that happening, can we.

Wow I just google South Korean med school admissions and it seems like academic roshambo

You should Google the questions from the English section of the Suneung to see if you can answer them lol.

1 Like

I can’t even answer the English reading/writing questions on the SAT/ACT

This is goactuary not goliberalarts

1 Like