Should We Believe People Feel The Way They Say?

What about in this forum? This forum definitely has a group consensus on many things. How often do you think people here go along with the group rather than argue their opinion that does not align with the consensus?

There are clear social mechanisms in this forum to quickly label non conforming ideas as such and to shun them. If someone is more interested in their reputation here than arguing out their ideas then they could pretty easily just agree with something they don’t really believe or stay silent.

Also the point of masks is not whether they actually work or not. It’s that many people feel that everyone thinks they work so they just say in social settings “yes I think they work” when they might actually think “no I don’t think they work” or “I am unsure about mask effectiveness” because they do not want to be ostracized.

pretty sure i say what i actually believe for all these issues.

i believe n95’s work. cloth masks and such seem iffy.

Zero.
Because I don’t think anyone really gives a fuck what people here think of them.
It’s more in HOW someone says something here, like being a total ass about their own and others’ opinions, or just trying to get a rise out of others for their own insecure enjoyment.

No, there is not. Some opinions simply lack factual basis and they are called out as such.

Like, when people think they are a victim and whine about it. No one wants to hear that. So, those posters should just stop that.

Personally, I like hearing non-conforming ideas. But I don’t treat them as facts. There is a difference. I hope you understand that.

1 Like

Why would someone post an agreement with something they don’t agree with rather than staying silent? Do you actually think people go out of their way on this board to actually agree to something they don’t agree with? Are you trying to equate choosing not to participate in a discussion or argue against an opinion by staying silent as the same as stating you agree?

1 Like

lol.

1 Like

Like, I wasn’t going to bother posting about this “study” as I think its pointed premise and structure iss just ridiculous and not worth adding anything else to the discussion.

But my silence on this matter is no way support of Nick’s desperate attempt to push the narrative that the majority of the country does not support abortion access.

this was the whole premise of Christian Rudder’s book “Dataclysm: Who We Are* (*When We Think No One’s Looking)”. Ruder was the founder of OKCupid, and did loads of analysis about the difference between what people say in their public profiles and what they do (with their swipes, messages, etc.).

Basic premise: people are very different between what they say and what they do. So, short answer to Should we believe people feel the way they say?

No.

Reminds me of my days of reading intern resumes . . .

1 Like

I would love to have dissident opinions. I do not like being a carbon copy of other posters, who all sound like the Economist.

However exciting opinions are not easy to acquire. I suspect most of us are simply cursed to be progressive, slightly libertarian, technocratic, atheists. With some slight variance on which part gets emphasized more.

Outside of politics, I can be a bit more unique, marginally more devastating.

I think you might be a bit surprised at how many of us don’t fit into this list of adjectives.

2 Likes

Did you know that more Democrats watch Fox News than MSNBC?

I was one of them when I had cable. I watched exclusively Fox News. Because watching things I agree with are boring af. I want to hear the other side.

I have some idea of who does and who doesn’t.

guilty as charged,

progressive - haha not a chance that anyone would ever accuse me of it
slightly libertarian - maybe
technocratic - nope
atheist - nope. I’m blessed to have faith. It truly is a gift

Sort of like having both a public and a private position, like many politicians do? Of course they mostly tell their donors this, not the bulk of their constituents.

Yeah, one reason I like you and Nick (and vorian when he posts here ;)) is that you have different opinions about some things. Same with the super liberal posters here.

That’s one of the reasons I hang out here. I have truly learned a lot from other posters. I also get insight into thought processes/life styles which are so different from mine. I seldom see it shifting any on my thoughts/beliefs, but I do find it very enlightening.

2 Likes

It’s also true that certain consequences of a decision aren’t apparent until afterward. I know someone who had an abortion and to this day still occasionally dreams about the unborn child, and the child grows up in the dreams as the years pass. It’s really hard for her. Apparently it’s not uncommon, even for the doctors. I would never have guessed something like this would be a consequence and probably neither did she.

I’m curious who these are. I feel like we have lost our most liberal posters since the transition.

2 Likes