Should i ask for my boss role?

“Near-FCIA”???

It loses the air of superiority if you’re French speaking imo

why say so ??

Merde alors, Dan!!!

If the CIA is involved, shouldn’t that be “Tabernak!” ?

1 Like

This was for an internal move? If so, that was a nice gesture, although if people saw you talking with a higher up from a different department in a coffee shop they would very likely guess what was up if you had no other connection. That might even be more suspicious than going to his office or meeting him in a conference room where it could more ostensibly be work-related somehow. Although maybe that partially depends on exactly how unrelated your two departments are.

They certainly should do that regardless.

My employer requires you to inform your manager if you get as far as interviewing for another job internally. Yes, it can be awkward.

I don’t agree with that policy at all. The current manager needs to be informed when an offer is accepted, in order to work out details like the timing of the transition and the extent to which the employee is available for questions/training after they are working in the new position.

I never said i loved the policy. It’s not like employees get to vote on it or anything.

Nope it was external …

Yes I agree

Fair enough.

If what you’re proposing essentially amounts to seeing if you can get your next promotion a little early, and you meet my definition of “near-qualified” then I don’t think there’s a problem asking, even if the answer is no.

If you aren’t what I’d call “near-qualified” and/or your idea involves leapfrogging over an intermediate position then I think it’s riskier.

This was my experience as well. You don’t have to inform the manager about the application, but once you start interviewing you’re supposed to tell them. It’s a dumb policy. But internal interviews are different from external interviews for obvi reasons. Like the hiring manager can reach out to your current manager if they want to. That’s not possible for externals.

but I made it clear that I really didn’t want it getting back to my current employer that I was looking

This should be a given.

My employer requires you to inform your manager if you get as far as interviewing for another job internally. Yes, it can be awkward.

I’ve worked places with policies like this, and I thought it was incredibly dumb.

For example, let’s say I work in reserving and find it boring and want to move into pricing. My company has an internal pricing role posted. I apply, tell my manager, and I don’t get it. There are no other pricing roles expected to open up in the near future that I’d be qualified for. Now my manager knows I’m likely unhappy in my current job, and will suspect that I’m looking externally - regardless of whether or not I really am. And even if I am, I might not want my boss to know that - maybe it will limit my career progression at this company in the meantime, if they don’t want to invest a lot in opportunities for someone who is likely to leave, and maybe it will take me a while to find an external opportunity, for whatever reason, depending on my qualifications, location preferences, etc.

In the past, this actually discouraged me from applying to internal jobs, because I didn’t want to have to tell my boss, so I exclusively looked externally. They might have kept me from leaving if it weren’t for that policy. I was only passively looking, and was being picky, and didn’t want to give the impression to higher ups at my company that I was a flight risk, if an internal opportunity didn’t work out.

1 Like

True!

Well, the job of your boss is supposed to make sure you are happy with your job, and help you develop your career and get to where you want to get to. I think companies that put policies that like in place make sure any sort of retaliation or preemptive obstruction of your development is completely forbidden.

I remember my skip level boss telling our whole team that s/he encourages us to apply to other jobs if we are not happy. Because our employee opinion survey was completely savage.

This assumes you have a good boss.

1 Like