Scrooging in your heart, and Scrooging all the Year

Only a scam if American capitalism is a scam. Good for those kids, they see the system for what it is.

Probably the most charitable thing we do is help out a relative who lives in a nice condo by himself in a first tier city, with good medical care, food, car, phone, pets, etc. and does nothing but threaten to kill himself. Which might be a good thing or might not really be a good thing, but it make me feel more scroogy for sure.

That would be an interesting thread. How does the companies all y’all work for/support treat the lowest/least paid of its workers and customers?

IMO people forget that “Humbug” means “Bullshit”, and that Scrooge and the Grinch were both more or less correct there is an awful lot of bullshit to every Christmas. A lot of materialism, a lot of showing off, a lot of wastefulness and greed, and a lot of pretending to be kind and loving for a week.

I like the holidays, but I can understand hating them. It’s not really related being uncharitable, except that they both come from being a misanthrope I guess.

1 Like

Maybe a little Scroogey here. We give a little bit to foodbanks, cancer research, and the occasional one-off charity. But not like some I see here that give a large % chunk of their salary. I do see our wealth increasing and sometimes feel bad I don’t give more.

I always tip well for service, and have started tipping at pickup counters since COVID.

I generally do not give money to homeless but I always give them the time of day. I acknowledge and respond to everyone that approaches me even if I don’t have or won’t give money. I try to treat everyone the same…I wouldn’t ignore a non-homeless person asking for directions even if I didn’t know where I was.

1 Like

I don’t like being approached. It feels unsafe to me and I’m less likely to be charitable.

It’s fraud. These kids aren’t raising money for their band.

2 Likes

Did they say what kind of band? Did they indicate how much of the proceeds go to their band vs. admin and marketing?

sure. if they aren’t involved in band at all, then it’s a scam. maybe they turn a personal profit that pays for their instrument, some music to play, lessons, or gas to get them to lessons or practice.

i buy those all the time bc I like to eat chocolate and that kid who is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME is offering some amazing convenience. kid would have to list some pretty hateful and destructive things to ruin that sale.

Pretty scroogey here.

Kind of hate giving to charity. Wife does most of the charity giving, then I have to throw out all the crap they keep mailing us to give them more. Certainly get annoyed at the weeklong crap the company does every year for it’s chosen charity.

Never give anything to homeless/beggers. Never buy anything from the kids running around selling overpriced cap. I’m not paying for your kids extra-curriculars.

Think I’m a pretty decent tipper (usually at least 20%)…but I hate it. Wish everything was just built in the price I pay.

I don’t like gift giving. I buy little stuff I want. I don’t have much else I want from people. Trying to think of stuff for people to buy me is dumb. Much rather just not have responsibility of trying to find a gift for someone. Was able to convince my siblings to stop doing the gift thing. Now we just have to buy stuff for children.

I’ve made more donations this year: food banks, local college, and the big city hospital that helped out my mom.

For takeout, I have been tipping my local favourites because I want them to survive. I’ve even tipped my local Domino’s a couple of times!

1 Like

I normally don’t tip for take out but during the pandemic I have for restaurants that we’d normally dine in at.

2 Likes

I give mainly overseas, my logic is the same dollars have more impact in poorer countries so it helps more people.

Homelessness is complicated, there are resources available here, but they have strings. I don’t help homeless people directly.

I think of myself as Scroogy because I know I could do more but I don’t. I give to several local charities that help with homelessness and food insecurity. I also volunteer, my spouse says a lot, to raise funds to help local charities or to help people in need. I’m always embarrassed when I am recognized for my efforts as I believe that part of being a good Catholic is in giving back and helping people. We don’t donate money to many national charities but we are supporters of PBS. Oh, and I give blood! Everyone should give blood if they are able. The American Red Cross now tells you where your donation went which is kind of cool.

4 Likes

:iatp:

1 Like

Pretty much the same for me. I have slowly ramped up giving over the years but need to do more. Added it as a financial goal for 2022.

I support random charities in small amounts monthly. I do give ad hoc on a pretty consistent basis.

Oh, and I do support our local preservation alliance to help keep the architectural history alive in the city. It’s something I really like, but it’s not as big of a boon to society as, say, a food bank.

Sounds like everyone is the same level of scroogey here, which means you’re not scroogey, you’re just normal.

I pay enough in taxes to help the homeless. I don’t need to pay more. I barely have enough for myself.

I would, but can’t, cuz gay.

This is good logic.