Sad thoughts

We went to a funeral this morning for one of our older parishioners. My parents’ generation is really thinning out. :frowning:

2 Likes

Long story, but I said no to my dad for the first time. He wanted him & my mom to drive to Florida with my daughter and me next week. He wanted to see his family there.

He had a health scare a few weeks ago and we decided it wasn’t a good idea for him to come. We have a family reunion next year which is a shorter drive.

He is afraid things will be worse next year.

I offered to fly him to Florida but he declined.

5 Likes

Going home to Manhattan today and every time I leave my parents house, I feel incredibly guilty that I’m not just staying here all the time to play Scrabble with my father constantly. I was too busy with work most of the time I was here and played with him some, but I get a feeling of extreme guilt not playing more and for leaving. Played a game today though before leaving and a few on the weekends. I need to go back to Manhattan tonight for a work thing tomorrow. Then I’m planning to stay there for a couple weeks, go to my friends house in another state and not be back in NY until next month.

He’s 88 and who knows how much longer he has to live which gives me this huge feeling of guilt and dread. He’s really feeble. :frowning: Feeble, but he LOVES Scrabble. He was a tournament winner back in his day. Now he’s not as good. I beat him some, but pretty good for an 88 year old. Didn’t really play scrabble with him back when he played in tournaments. I’m sure he would have kicked my ass back then.

My mother is turning 80 next year, so she’s old too, but seems to be in better shape than my father who now has 24 hour care. My mother is slowing down, but she cares for herself.

4 Likes

that’s tough. but the time you have shared is cool. i loved playing cribbage with my dad. he beat me the last few times we played (and I’m bitter, of course). i recognized something was up when he wasn’t counting hands as well as he used to.

can you set up zoom calls or online games with him during the month or is that not easy with the typical 88yo?

1 Like

I play WWF with my FIL, usually beat him but he’s pretty good

I originally posted this in the annoyed thoughts, but it’s been bumming me out the last few days that my vision is permanently messed up in one eye.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear but glad it wasn’t worse

2 Likes

I was putting a reminder in my cell phone calendar when auto suggest put up “Wake for Dad”. Geez, time flies. :frowning:

1 Like

I was invited to a things with several possible dates. One date didn’t work for me, but the others did. The date that was selected was the one that didn’t work for me.

And, I know it’s not personal, but this happens to me more often than it doesn’t. I was actually thinking to myself when I sent the email, they’re going to pick this date to do it. So it’s hard to not take that as, when we have to choose which person to exclude, NerdAlert is the one whose presence will be least missed.

I was really looking forward to it, and it’s just this really disappointing feeling that’s getting me down today. I don’t think I’m a drag to be around, I can be a fun person, and I want people to like me and to want to have me around, too.

5 Likes

that sort of cycle is disappointing.

not trying to pick it apart, but do you know how the other dates were supported? your date has one absence (you). The others > 1 I hope? Still won’t feel good if you wanted to attend

1 Like

I only saw reply-all’s saying any of the dates worked. Presumably those with conflicts didn’t reply all. So I don’t know. But I hope that was the case.

2 Likes

I would never reply-all to a note like that, unless it was addressed to fewer than, maybe 6 people.

A local woman had her car stolen with her twin baby boys in the back seat, just five months old. One of the boys was found abandoned in an airport parking lot in the middle of the night an hour away. The other is still missing, along with the car and the woman who stole the car. It’s been more than 24 hours. My heart just aches for that family, I keep praying for a happy ending but it’s not looking good. I can’t begin to imagine.

OMG, how awful. I assume they looked everywhere around where they found the one baby for the other one. I hope both babies are fine.

1 Like

I had an annoyed thought but after reading that, my complaint is shallow.

2 Likes

They found the second baby in a city three hours away and in another state; he’s alive, I’m in disbelief and so relieved it turned out this way. The suspect was arrested hours ago and the baby was not with her, so I was really fearing the worst for that little boy.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s fantastic. Hopefully no long-term damage.

1 Like

Yes, that is fantastic.

Car was stolen outside a pizzeria in Columbus and found near a Papa John’s in Indianapolis.

“Jackson allegedly stole the Honda Accord from outside Donatos Pizza when the boys’ mother went inside to picke up a Door Dash order. She left the children inside with the car running, authorities previously said.”

2 Likes

Nic Cage still on the loose, I see.

One of the dogs just had a seizure. It happens to him sometimes and it’s horrifying to watch :cry: I think he’s okay now. Vet didn’t give a reason for these seizures.

2 Likes