Rock-Paper-Scissors: March Madness history

This thread is to relocate some RPS info before it gets lost again.

Intro from RPS - 2020 edition

Here on the AO, March Madness refers to the annual Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament, and I’d like to welcome everyone to the 2020 version, the seventeenth such event here.

I’d like to thank Everybody Hates a Tourist for standing in as host last season while I attended to, er… “other events”. (I don’t want to bore y’all with the details, but remember when Michael Jordan “retired” to play baseball? Well, there was some folks that thought I needed to “retire” as well, but we got that all cleared up and now I’m back!! :tup: :tup:)

First and foremost, thank you all for your great participation in the past! :clap: :clap:

(For those of you unfamiliar with this Tournament, here’s the link to last year’s game, the 2018 game, the 2017 game, the 2016 game, the 2015 game, the 2014 game, the 2013 game, the 2012 game, the 2011 game, the 2010 game, the 2009 game, the 2008 game, the 2007 game, the 2006 game, the 2005 game and the 2004 game. Whew!)

Once again we’ll take up to the first 64 players in this tourney. The only prize you’ll get this year is the honor and glory of being an RPS champion (but frankly, do you really need anything else?).

The method of seeding this year is yet to be determined (it’ll depend on how much time I have to put this together). The method of determining the #1 seeds will remain the same (defending Regional champions are always a #1 seed), and the rest will be determined in some other manner. However, at some point the tie-breaker will be based on the order of entering the game - the earlier you say you’re in, the higher your seed (and thus the better chance of getting an opening round bye).

All you need to do is post to this thread that you are interested, and you’re in the game! To be guaranteed a spot in the tournament, you must be one of the first 64 people to post in this thread by Sun, Mar 15th, 6 pm CT.

As is the case each year, the 4 #1 seeds are reserved for last year’s Final Four contestants - they have until the evening of Thu, Mar 12th, to claim their #1 seed. Those four would be: GargoyleWaiting (last year’s champ), sam10gle (runner-up), Ray Finkle and Bingboing. In the event that they go unclaimed, they will be filled by the first entrant(s), as needed.

Other than that, everything will be the same as in the past:

Brackets will be announced no later than Monday, March 16th, at 10 a.m. CT, thus allowing for the first matches to occur that day. I’d like to get this rolling as quickly as possible, so again, please sign up ASAP.

The number of games in the matches will increase in the later rounds, so you can show off your true skill:

Round of 64: Best of 5 games
Round of 32: Best of 5 games
Sweet Sixteen: Best of 7 games
Elite Eight: Best of 7 games
Semi-finals: Best of 9 games
Finals: Best of 9 games

[color=blue]Be warned you’d better come ready to play, or a slow start could lead to an early exit![/color]

You must PM me at least one set of throws a day, unless your opponent is unknown. No throws for 2 consecutive business days will be deemed a forfeit [b]of the tournament[/b].

Once again, to say that you are in the tournament, simply post to this thread.

Details on the games themselves will be the same as in prior years:

The format is simple: This will be a simple “winner advances” bracket. You must win the series in each round to advance.

What will happen is for each game the two players will PM me their first 5 throws. I will resolve them, in order, and post the results of the game to the thread. (In the event of a tie - the 5 throws match exactly - both players would email me their next 5 throws for that game).

Example:

PlayerA PMs me: Rock - Scissors - Paper - Paper - Rock
PlayerB PMs me: Rock - Scissors - Rock - Scissors - Paper

I will only post the results up until the winning throw, so in this case I will post something to the effect of:

PlayerA and PlayerB then PM me with their throws for the 2nd game of the match.

Note in the example above it doesn’t matter that PlayerB would’ve won more throws head-to-head; it’s the first non-tie that determines the outcome.

For those of you who still can’t quite see how this works, you can look at any of the prior game threads (see links above) to see how the game evolves.

It is my intention to update the game at least 3 times a day (late night or early morning, midday, and early evening), as long as there’s something to report. I will do my best to keep up with the PMs - each year is a little harried in the early rounds, but we manage to sort it all out, and a good time is had by all (although moreso by the winners, I suppose).

1 Like

History

And for those who like a little history, here are the Final Four Results from the past eighteen years:

2004 BracketMaker view
Semis: foghorn over TomServo (5-2); LaraCroft over RedSoxFan (5-3)
Finals: foghorn over LaraCroft (5-1)

2005 BracketMaker view
Semis: J.T. over 4sigma (5-4), urysohn over Hagbard (5-3)
Finals: urysohn over J.T. (5-0) [Yes, it was a shutout!]

2006 BracketMaker view
Semis: Traina over Actuary321 (5-4), Jables over TomServo (5-4)
Finals: Jables over Traina (5-0) [Yes, it was a shutout - AGAIN!]

2007 BracketMaker view
Semis: IMP over SirVLCIV (5-1), MrPenguin over Werewolf (5-4)
Finals: MrPenguin over IMP (5-3)

2008 BracketMaker view
Semis: kiwi over Browncoat (5-3), udjw828 over DoctorNo (5-4)
Finals: udjw828 over kiwi (5-2)

2009 BracketMaker view
Semis: J.T. over Browncoat (5-4), Jables over kiwi (5-3)
Finals: J.T. over Jables (5-3)

2010 BracketMaker view
Semis: lipman over Feisty8888 (4-3), LaraCroft over soyleche (4-1)
Finals: LaraCroft over lipman (4-3)

2011 BracketMaker view
Semis: soyleche over 2pac Shakur (4-0), urysohn over 1695184 (4-2)
Finals: soyleche over urysohn (5-1)

2012 BracketMaker view
Semis: ADoubleDot over Ray Finkle (5-1), urysohn over Feisty8888 (5-4)
Finals: ADoubleDot over urysohn (5-4)

2013 BracketMaker view
Semis: Browncoat over rekrap (5-3), thing over urysohn (5-4)
Finals: thing over Browncoat (5-1)

2014 BracketMaker view
Semis: Numerical Neuroticism over thing (5-3), Pintsize over actuary_aspire (5-3)
Finals: Numerical Neuroticism over Pintsize (5-2)

2015 BracketMaker view
Semis: RedLaces over actuary_aspire (5-4), campbell over Gandalf (5-2)
Finals: campbell over RedLaces (5-3)

2016 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: Ezekial Cumberland over MayanActuary (5-2), rekrap over soyleche (5-1)
Finals: rekrap over Ezekial Cumberland (5-4)

2017 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: MayanActuary over Whiskey (5-2), Doctor Who over CindyLou Who (5-3)
Finals: Doctor Who over MayanActuary (5-3)

2018 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: Ezekial Cumberland over Vorian Atreides (5-2), dgtatum over Gandalf (5-4)
Finals: Ezekial Cumberland over dgtatum (5-1)

2019 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: GargoyleWaiting over Ray Finkle (5-0), sam10gle over Bingboing (5-3)
Finals: GargoyleWaiting over sam10gle (5-2)

2020 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: Whiskey over Feisty8888 (5-3), MayanActuary over CindyLou Who (5-3)
Finals: Whiskey over MayanActuary (5-4)

2021 (BracketMaker view not available at this time)
Semis: ALivelySedative over ao_fan (4-3), MayanActuary over Doctor_Who (4-2)
Finals: MayanActuary over ALivelySedative (4-2)

:popcorn:

If anyone is interested - I have a spreadsheet that has all of the throws in every match since 2007. I’ve used it to develop my mad skills.

The first two posts had a lot of words and I’m too many Makers into the evening to read’m all so I say…
Let there me Rock!

If we go for it next year it will probably be a really small tournament…

We’ve got plenty of time to see how this all develops - we might be able to get to the 32ish we’ve had the past couple of years… maybe? :man_shrugging:

I’ll be in.

Interested

:popcorn: :beer: :beers: :

Wow now this is a trip down memory lane!

Add me to the list of participants.

:popcorn:

If/When we play, it’ll be in March 2021 - I just wanted to grab the rules/winners history while I could (and maybe store some other history here… someday).

I know that. But it won’t stop me from making a post requiring you to put me on a virtual object for future implementation.

Excellent - we’ll be glad to have you! :+1:

(I just didn’t want to be confusing people, that’s all.)

I was disappointed I missed it last time.

Have I missed the 2021 versions thread?

RPS madness usually starts around April. Save the best for last and all…