RIP thread

Tony Dow - Leave It To Beaver

3 Likes

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

2 Likes

It is true this time, I think.

RIP Bernard Cribbins

The choco taco got it’s own obit in the WSJ

Reports of the Choco Taco’s Death Are Possibly Exaggerated Reports of the Choco Taco’s Death Are Possibly Exaggerated - WSJ

RIP Nichelle Nichols

2 Likes

RIP Bill Russell

2 Likes

and RIP Pat Carroll

more:

Dang, what a long career, and what a long life.

I would argue that Poor Unfortunate Souls is what brought Disney cartoons back from the grave. The 70s & 80s were just pathetic compared to earlier times (though I did enjoy the Robin Hood one), and that was a massive villain song. Great casting on Ursula there. Made it like a Broadway show/opera

1 Like

That’s a pretty strong statement up against Under The Sea and Part Of Your World.

I agree that The Little Mermaid ushered in a new era of on-screen success for Disney, but I’m not sure it’s because of Poor Unfortunate Souls, specifically.

That said, RIP to Pat Carroll all the same.

1 Like

Oliver and Company brough Disney back from the brink, though not as good as what came after

1 Like

Yeah, that was pretty good, too.

But I would say that Poor Unfortunate Souls really sold the film. The villains were always what made the films… I mean, in Sleeping Beauty, that dragon at the end scared the crap out of me. Drama! I mean, yes, you need the whole schmear, but I think one needs a strong antagonist – that’s my main point.

I was going to comment that this line was going to get someone on the list. Then I noticed who made the comment. Then I realized it was a serious post, not a pun. Or both?

1 Like

Eh, I think you are overselling it. Yes, a good villain is helpful, but if Under The Sea and Part Of Your World and maybe even Kiss The Girl were not part of the movie, it would not have been a big hit. Poor Unfortunate Souls is just one rather small component of what made it a hit.

If I were to pick the single song most critical to the film’s success, it is clearly Under The Sea.

And The Lion King is proof positive that a good villain is not essential to a film being successful. Hey, good job on defeating the biggest weakling in the royal family Simba! :+1:t2::ok_hand:t2::fist:t2:

1 Like

Vin Scully 94. Voice of the Dodgers has called his last game.

3 Likes

A little roller up along first; behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it! Vin Scully

2 Likes

IFYP

Roger E. Mosley - Obviously from Magnum, P.I., but I also liked his guest appearances throughout the years.
RIP

1 Like

Liked him in Magnum, not much else I remember him from, except Leadbelly.

Most likely nothing else post-dated my watching of Magnum (which I only watched in reruns); so he didn’t stand out to me