Retirment plans? (tangent from FA thread)

Move south and spend a lot of time outdoors. I like to golf and my wife likes to garden. I imagine that will be the majority of our time. We may do that in the next several years given we can both still work remotely.

Woodworking, lots and lots of reading, maybe take up gardening, and hopefully spend a lot of time with grandkids.

Plan to relax (read, walk, swim) for a year solid before getting productive again. Lots of volunteering, possible fostering depending on whether my spouse is still alive (more than a decade older than me and heavy smoker for 30+ years until 7 years ago). Eventually grandkids.

1 Like

Donā€™t think I will be retiring.

Likely take a part-time role in the field (non-exec role).

I would get very bored without some form of work.

Will be moving back and forth between Spain, UK, and Brazil as we will likely have our home base in Rio. Its an easy life down there, and my wife knows all the right people.

Our daughter is likely to study in either the UK/US, so my wife is planning on retiring at 55 so she can tag along so that the little one can live at home rather than a dorm (I personally donā€™t think this is a great idea but she keeps insisting on it).

No plans beyond that. Still discussing education options.

What age we talking here? Early school? Or uni?

Undergraduate (18-21)

I put my foot down on graduate school (22). She can rent a small place or do dorms.

Its just very common in Brazil to go to University while living with your parents.

Itā€™s not unusual here either if youā€™re going to school near where your parents already live. Itā€™s unusual for parents of uni kids to pick up and move just to keep their kids living with them. The term for that here is helicopter-mom.

My oldest went to uni about 2 hours away from me. That (to me) was perfect. She got to stage her independence and she was close enough that I could get to her in an emergency. Younger one is in the UK. Harder for me as a parent because I worry about her. But all things considered, she is right where she should be.

1 Like

We insisted our daughter go to school at least 4 hours away, to make her independent from us. Made picking her up for holidays a drag as where she went was not close to trains, planes or buses.

Our youngest is wrapping up their masters, still at home. Thereā€™s a good chance theyā€™ll be here another 3 or 4 as the do their PhD stuff.
They have their own area, including sitting and TV, and their own bathroom. And they have freedom and privacy. Thatā€™s helped keep them at home. They can have people over without us leaning in, and someone else does their laundry.

Itā€™s nice having one still home. Id have them both here permanently, but thatā€™s not to be. The only thing Iā€™ve noticed is that the one at home has poor budgeting skills. Theyā€™re buying 1000 cameras and Iā€™m paying1000 for tires because they donā€™t have any money. The other one lived on their own for 2 years doing their masters, partly paid for by a loan.so they got into budget mode real quick.

Iā€™m a few years away from this, but I think this is the approach we will take, too. Or live in the dorms if youā€™re going to school nearby, we will pay for the room and board side of things. Iā€™m not raising my sons to rely on someone else to take care of them, they need to figure that crap out.

Weā€™re the opposite of this. Our kids have been responsible for a multitude of household chores since they could start learning to help with them progressing to doing them without help. I havenā€™t done laundry for anyone other than myself and my spouse in 8+ years (and generally my spouse does it yay). We were not at all interested in adding 60k (4*15k a year) to the cost of college for each kid for the privilege of living in the dorms (either to the amount we are paying or to their student loans). The cost to live on campus plus meal plans, or off-campus plus utilities, food, transportation exceed tuition at the state schools here.

1 Like

At the risk of outing myself, my daughter is legally blind and we needed to make sure that she could advocate for herself. We were worried that if Mom & Dad were too close, she would expect us to just handle things that came up. Nearing 20 years out of college, she was able to handle things just fine and has since then as well. Maybe this helped and maybe it didnā€™t, but it was what we felt would serve her best in the long run.

4 Likes