Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Abortion is currently protected by our state constitution. Today we are voting on an amendment that would allow a ban. Abortion is regulated somewhat already.

I hope Kansas remains the Free State after today. Just voted!

Ah. Thanks for the Civics lesson, you and @AcademicActuary !

Makes me wonder when that (protecting abortion rights) happened.
I guess I could look it up…
1997! Since then, banning abortions little-by-little has been Job #1.

Maybe we should have a thread on dirty politics, as this is an example of the extremes that dishonest political organizations will stoop to. These turds claim to hold the moral high ground.

I read that this may be a violation of election laws since the group does not identify itself. Not sure that’s true, but it’s shitty anyway. It’s likely a violation of the terms of service of the service they are using to spam this through. They are using multiple phone numbers. People are reporting all of them, but I imagine the damage will have been done before they get shut down.

Yep. People are reporting this to election officials, but I agree that the damage is done. And it’s likely nothing will come of it. Ugh.

https://twitter.com/auctnr1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1554306730774986753|twgr^d1e92b53754fc58eb87b55b0fde8744c61345b11|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2Fnews%2Floyal-trump-backer-rep-billy-134828691.html

When you run Trump’s endorsement through the Covfefe filter he was really endorsing this guy.

My state had abortion laws on the books, so abortion became immediately illegal per SCOTUS until the AG stated they refused to prosecute any abortion convictions, until a judge changed that saying county-level authorities could still individually prosecute, until another judge in the same day reversed that ruling, and currently it’s on the ballot as a constitutional amendment. (Also, more court cases.)

Thanks for nothing, SCOTUS. At least my state appears overwhelmingly primed to enshrine reproductive rights and potentially as a side effect this will reverse a Republican-leaning election cycle.

That makes sense. In 1997 Missouri was a swing state. Missouri voted for the winner in all but one election from 1904 - 2004. The one they missed is one I wouldn’t have guessed if I hadn’t looked it up: they picked Democrat Adlai Stevenson over Republican Dwight Eisenhower in 1956 (particularly surprising since they voted for Eisenhower in 1952).

They’ve been solid Republican since W, but they’d been a bona fide swing state prior to that.

They had a Democratic governor in 1997 (in his second term), and Dems had a majority in both chambers of the state legislature.

I think Republicans are doing a pretty good job of this themselves. People are like I don’t want to vote Democrat. Then they take a good look at what not voting Democrat actually means and they’re like, Ugh, I guess I will anyway.

Given that it’s been a full day and there’s been no clarification as to which he meant to endorse, this certainly seems to be the case.

I guess he thinks it’s hilarious?

There’s actually three Erics in the race, although one has no shot and it’s basically a two-horse race between the two Erics who hurriedly accepted the “endorsement”.

I bet both candidates are pissed at Trump, but of course they can’t say anything to the puppet master.

Three Eric’s dafuq?

I always smile when I see Adlai Stevenson’s name as I have an old campaign button with his name on it as my father-in-law campaigned unsuccessfully for him. He was vey disappointed when AS lost the Democratic nomination to JFK in 1960.

AZ GOP gubernatorial candidate wants to push kids to drop out of high school for real world experience

1 Like

How ‘bout we push that out 2 years…

2 Likes

FWIW - kids can legally drop out at 16 already in AZ (probably similar in most states).

2 Likes

Yes, she “invented” dropouts which already happen all the time.

I mean, he’d run unsuccessfully TWICE at that point. And given how close 1960 was he probably would have lost a third time, given that he didn’t have JFK’s looks or charisma.

I agree that AS probably would have lost in 1960 as his main asset was his intellect and that is rarely enough to get elected. It was best for the Dems that JFK ran against Nixon.

My father-in-law disliked Joe Kennedy and his privileged sons so that was another reason he was disappointed that JFK got the nomination.

1 Like

Even the one that died during WWII? And the other one that was injured during WWII?

My father-in-law’s dislike for the Kennedies was mainly because of political differences but class was also part of it. He overlapped at Harvard with Joe Jr and JFK in the late 1930’s/early 1940’s and was very aware that they were in a social class that did not want to mix with his class. The Kennedies were rich and were celebrities even then. In contrast, middle class Jewish boys from Brooklyn like my father-in-law and his friend Norman Mailer were not very welcome at Harvard: they were there purely on merit.

interesting, my dad’s history is similar until college. He went to NYU on the GI bill.

and was a Kennedy fan