Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

I’ve started collecting them. Here is both the linked article and another one, both from good journals.

HRT_teens_NEJM_study.pdf (1.7 MB)
mental_health_teens.pdf (918.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s awesome.

1 Like

In general I don’t agree with this statement. Since children aren’t sufficiently able to understand and make choices, more government oversight/restrictions than on adults is prudent. Ask yourself, would you feel the same about child marriage, or coonversion therapy, or labor in dangerous jobs?

1 Like
  1. No opinion. Not forced marriage, right?
  2. Again, that’s more often forced.
  3. Safety issue is very different from the above, and, again, usually forced and not a child volunteering to do dangerous jobs.
    You act as if gender reassignment surgery is being forced on a child. That I would be against. Waiting until adulthood is probably best. Where in this line of logic does “trans folks reading books to children” fall? Cuz, that’s being outlawed as well.
2 Likes

I think that is a pretty impossible distinction to make. My only experience with it is a single anecdote that I will attempt to summarize.

A friend of a friend came home from school a few days after her 17th birthday. Had some Trigonometry homework to finish and she was going to meet her boyfriend at the arcade later. Normal teenager stuff.

Her parents, a 27 year old man she vaguely remembered meeting once, and two older adults were in the living room and she was called in to join them. This 27 yo man was so-and-so, her father informed her, and a week from Saturday she and so-and-so were going to be married. The older adults were so-and-so’s parents.

But, but… her boyfriend is supposed to take her to the junior prom she protested.

There will be no junior prom with the boyfriend. She needs to stop seeing him. She’s now the fiancée of so-and-so.

So anyway, she broke up with her boyfriend and married the older man 10 days later. Was it forced? I mean she technically agreed to it. But her only other option was to leave home and try to make it as a foster kid or couch-surfing with friends… which are not great options for a 17 year-old girl.

And this wasn’t some remote country either… this was in the United States.

1 Like

Yikes! Did you find out what happened in the ensuing years?

I believe they are still married… been over 25 years now. I admittedly haven’t had an update in a while.

The parents were eager to marry her off because so-and-so was a doctor, which was a big deal. And supposedly he was a reasonably nice guy… setting aside the creepy factor of a 27 year old man & 17 year old girl anyway. Which apparently wasn’t considered creepy in their culture.

It was the high school friend of one of my college friends. I did meet the young bride once when I visited my college friend in her hometown.

It’s probably traditioooooon.

2 Likes

I didn’t express any opinion on the smaller topic of gender-affirming care. Like you, I don’t think it should be forced on a child (or an adult for that matter). As far as “trans folks reading books to children”, I don’t have a problem with that in general. I would have problems with it (as with non-trans readers) if I thought the material weren’t age-appropriate, or from Fox News.

I think one of the reasons we should be cautious about kids has to do with the lessened freedom of choice due to them being juveniles and possible coercion. That’s why I feel it is less of a MYOB than for adults.

Regarding the jobs, I am thinking explicitly of the recent child labor reports in the news. The factory cleaners that are underage unaccompanied minors from other countries, they seem to be choosing these jobs over poverty. Do you think that should be permitted? The 10yo running the fryer at McDonald’s where their parent is the overnight manager, is that MYOB?

A think a good analogy for this treatment of transgender individuals, from the conservative perspective, may be the persecution of heretics in the period after the reformation. That was supposed to be an act of love, protecting society from morally subversive ideas. We see now that it wasn’t, even if that was the intent.

It must be hard to believe with all your heart that God intends your child to be a cisgender heterosexual individual, and then find out they are not. Enough time has passed to see the terrible damage caused by the “purity” virginity movement in the 90s, and the attempt to “convert” gay teens in the 2000s.

I think history will look with sympathy upon the efforts to make sure parents are informed if their children are trying to transition at school. But there will be on excuse for these laws that prevent all gender affirming care. They will be looked at with the same horror we now remember the committing of homosexual individuals to psychiatric care in the 60s.

2 Likes

To follow-up, I think the outcome for the NEJM study is unimpressive. It’s some 1 point gains on a hundred point scale, not to mention the t
suicides.

The other study sounds a lot more impactful, but also small, and in bad need of controls.

I’ll look around as well. It might be easier to dund comvincing evidence for grown ups and extrapolate it to kids, but mostly it seems like a subject that needs more data either way.

Big one here to pick through later–

It’s larger and has more controls. Though I think it still somewhat misses the basic question I have which is:
“Is it the drugs or is it the love and acceptance?”

Access to GAH during adulthood was also associated with greater odds of past-month binge drinking (aOR = 1.2, 95% CI = 1.1–1.3, p < .0001) and lifetime illicit drug use (aOR = 1.7, 95% CI = 1.6–1.8, p < .0001) when compared to desiring but never accessing GAH.

lol, watch out for the drugs Samantha. :smiley:

You can’t really blame him. I mean they all look the same.

1 Like

Fuck Ted Cruz is really all i have in response to any article about him.

9 Likes

If by emotion, you mean having empathy for other humans, then I am sad to hear you admit that.

And I am hardly a radical. My political beliefs are likely in the plurality of people in America.

Representative Keith Self, a Republican who represents Allen, Texas, said on CNN that critics who are calling for more than “thoughts and prayers” after Saturday’s shooting “don’t believe in almighty God, who is absolutely in control of our lives.”

No doubt it’s your love for all mankind that makes you posts on the internet special.

And no, you’re not particularly average, you are on the left tip of a left leaning forum, and you have an additional tendency to show disdain for various classes of people.

1 Like

lol

Guess God hated 8 people in Allen, Tx

2 Likes