Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Yeah, I would have considered myself somewhat conservative 15-20 years ago. While my views have changed some, what I see labeled as conservative and liberal and (lol) radical have changed greatly. And doubly so for what is “Republican”. It should be obvious to any observer who has been watching that those who would have clearly been conservatives are now declared RINO and are being pushed out of the party.

1 Like

I’ve been fairly consistent in my political stance of “fiscally conservative, socially liberal, laissez-faire garnished with pragmatism”.

When I was in high school and college, that had me as more Republican than Democrat. However, that changed with the Republican revolution in the mid 90’s, and hasn’t improved since.

Hell, I used to be comfortable describing myself as “watered-down libertarian”, but I can’t really use that label anymore thanks to some people using “libertarian” as a shield for some pretty ugly stances.

3 Likes

A lot of the people in positions to do something are going to get to the other side and ask god why he didn’t do anything to stop mass shootings just to hear him say “that’s what you morons were supposed to be doing!”

What, you mean “being the hands and feet of Jesus” isn’t clinging to guns and telling other people to f*** off?

I’ve probably said this here before but Christian Nationalism is both un-Christlike and un-American.

ETA: I googled the Bible passage about Jesus saying to put down their swords and the response of the disciples was to bail on him. Sounds about right.

2 Likes

38 posts were split to a new topic: Transgender trends and politics in the US

GOP getting some backlash about potential job losses if crackdown on undocumented workers continues.

I support border security, my not at the expense of cheap labor for my corporate masters.

3 Likes

I accidentally swept up the 2 posts above when I split out the transgender discussion, so I put them back in their proper place

Santos has apparently been indicted. Indictment is sealed until tomorrow, no news articles have useful details yet.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 7.07.50 PM

5 Likes

NYT just reported it.

He has been charged.

Here’s a non-paywalled link to the Times article.

Since Trump will surely say the Darndest things at the CNN Town Hall: Trump CNN town hall: Here are 10 questions that should be asked of the former president

That’s Mehdi Assan’s list of 10 tough questions he thinks Trump should be asked, with followups as he tries to evade.

For example, here are two:

2 Likes

The charged part was already known. It is the “with what” that is unknown. And the NYT article doesn’t help.

The specific charges against Mr. Santos, 34, are not yet clear. Mr. Santos could appear as soon as Wednesday in federal court, according to CNN, which first reported the charges.

What?

I suspect he’s referring to this: Prison choir song featuring Donald Trump tops the iTunes chart - YouTube

YouTube’s description:

Not YouTube: criticism by Asa Hutchinson about it: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3932347-asa-hutchinson-hits-trump-over-j6-prison-choir-song-i-dont-think-we-should-elevate-jan-6/

Wire fraud (7 counts), money laundering (3 counts), theft of public funds (1 count), materially false statements to the House of Representatives (2 counts). Terrible fashion choices not being charged.

2 Likes

Another one bites the dust.

Great month we are having. Breaking out the bubbly.

1200 payments to Santos from his campaign at $199.99 each, anything over $200 requires a receipt.

Amateur hour.

4 Likes