Removing old jobs from resume

If you’ve been working for a while and your resume is getting kind of long just due to the number of jobs you’ve held, including actuarial ones, do you just get rid of them to keep everything to a page? I mean even if you had no bullet points and just the dates and titles it would be too long, for example.

I, I mean whoops a friend, was thinking of eventually doing that, or just a simple summary line saying like I worked at X places over Y years pre-fellowship.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I have heard of people doing that to avoid age discrimination

I’m not worried about that yet. Just the convention of keeping everything to a page. Maybe 2 pages would be okay cause I’ve seen some people hired who had 2.

I like to see gaps in work history and how long the person tends to stay at a job

So if that is obvious I am good

I review resumes and recruit for my company. I don’t give a crap if your resume is longer than a page, I would prefer to see your relevant work experience.

My resume is almost two pages btw. I’ve had five actuarial jobs (with multiple roles within each job), plus volunteerism, plus skills. I don’t include a ton of detail from my earliest actuarial roles or the one I had recently that doesn’t apply to my long-term aspirations.

I hate this idea that resumes have to be a page long.

And for whatever it’s worth, I’ve been hired to every job I’ve ever applied for, except right out of college when I was applying to dozens, and my resume has never been a one-pager.

2 Likes

More gaps and shorter tenures are good right

Yes also include not particularly good at math and prefer to not work with black people

3 Likes

why anyone would care about jobs you had over 10 years ago that is unrelated(mostly?) to what you do now is beyond me. Honestly baffles me that hiring managers fixate on this stuff.

“My LinkedIn profile is my resume”

1 Like

Maybe I should just have my name and then the next line can be “use Google.”

1 Like

Most of my actuarial experience isn’t in Google.

Yeah, I’ve heard of people dropping old jobs, largely due to age discrimination. And they are less relevant. (Although it actually is relevant to my skill-set that i started at a pension consulting firm. Most p&c actuaries never paid any attention to that life table stuff, and i did, since it was job-relevant when i was studying that material. And i kinda know what it feels like to be a consultant.)

It’s not common among actuaries to leave out jobs, and as a hiring manager it would make me wonder what you are hiding. I’ve hired a guy with a gap in employment (he was great, if a little hard to manage) and a guy with lots of short-tenure jobs (that was a mistake, but the market was pretty thin, and the alternative might have been no one for an extended period.)

But it may be the wave of the future.

My resume is two pages. But I’m old and have done a lot of different things.

I still strive for a 1 page resume. However, I don’t use a chronological resume that lists jobs and job duties together.

I split my resume into relevant sections to highlight professional designations/education, a separate section that highlights relevant work history/projects, a section that lists the companies I worked for and the dates, and a section that highlights various work related volunteer/speaking engagements.

I don’t put everything in the project history (only the most important things that seem relevant to the job posting) and I can’t fit every individual volunteering and speaking engagement so this has become more general as well to highlight the overall level of involvement.

same, I stopped listing duties under each job, as those became either irrelevant or redundant