Remote work compromise

Workers demand it. Employers don’t want it. What if they just dole it out like vacations?

Say 30 wfh days per year?

Everybody wins

Shirt, pants, coming into the office. Which two do you want, employer?

11 Likes

30 is too little. people don’t want to go to the office at all.

i don’t mind the office. i like it. what i hate is my apartment. so, i’m rarely there anymore. where i choose to be is too far from the office to commute.

sorry, WFH 30 days a year isn’t “remote work”. You still have to relocate to the metro area to be in the office the other 90 days a year.

“remote” is where someone can reside in one location and “work” in another location. Software companies do this. It’s doable for traditional actuarial roles, too, given certain parameters. For a job I took once where I didn’t want to move the family with like 2 months left in the school year, I split time in-office and remote for those 2 months. Live in [A], drive to [B] on Sunday night and work a week in office, drive home Friday night and spend the next week in [B] working remotely.

I think the future of “remote” work is going to be professionals (especially quant types like actuaries, DS, engineers) working in their home location most of the time. Then one week a quarter, maybe 2, the company will bring the whole division together at a central location, like their home office which is only 30% occupied anyway, and have them all work in-office. Rotate the divisions in the office: actuarial, underwriting, finance, IT, etc. Then you have like 60% of the remaining office space to either rent out to other tenants or convert to short-term living spaces that can house your remote EEs while they’re in-office.

2 Likes

it’s called compromise, folks

lol your “compromise” is more days in the office than my employer suggested. glwt.

bottom line is, i think my employer wants me to be productive. i’m most productive by not having anything to do with manhattan right now.

My company reached a compromise with their employees. We can work however or wherever we want. We’re extremely productive.

I have been on a panel doing interviews this week and no one has had a dress shirt on in any interview. Everyone is wearing something quite casual. It’s really nice.

1 Like

Um, how about 30 work-at-office days?

So, we’re negotiating.

Wondering how much my company hates the environment, as I would be contributing to traffic pollution, not just my own car’s, but to the slowing down of others. No, the others are not ALL EV in CA. But, I’d seriously consider the new Prius with 220hp

personally i would love this. But how many companies would go for this?

My company has taken the approach of “we would like you in as much as possible, but individual teams can decide what makes the most sense for them”…so it’s a manager-by-manager thing.

But my company had been pretty decentralized before the pandemic. I was unusual for being WFH in the before times, but definitely not unique.

I miss being in an office. I absolutely do not miss spending 45-60 minutes in traffic, twice a day.

lol 30? try 300 minimum

You dont get all weekends, holidays, and vacation days? Sad

1 Like

With the exception of those who need to be there (office services who need to physically handle policies, etc), being at the office is entirely optional for us. We’d lose a bunch of people if we were forced back to the building. Two people from just my group have moved half way across the country. I haven’t heard how it is going long-term, but in the first year, the official word was that productivity was significantly up. Management can do what they want, of course, but it seems pretty clear to me that forcing people back would be a foolish move.

Our management wanted it - better way to attract and retain employees, and save on costs.

yeah, no point compromising when you already have what you want. Mods plz delete this thread

Most employers seem to have hit a compromise.

The longer term impacts will take a while to shake out. Further outsourcing seems inevitable.

There are enough remote jobs out there that if my employer said no more remote I would leave and get a remote job. I also happen to live in a completely different city than my employer now. It’s nice not being tied down to a specific area/location.

Reverse that — 30 in office days a year, and maybe you’ll keep your best employees.

1 Like

i know of some of the best employees who refuse to do even that much.

Yeah, a lot of people moved to beaches or rural areas and have no interest in coming back to a commute. 100% understandable.