Remembrances of Pillow (from the actuarial outpost)

If UA wants to give the name that would be ok - been done for Pip/Roop and Cheerio - but UA mentioned that they both worked at the same company so that would be giving people a hint as to UAs identity. RIP Pillow.

Uh okay…

Very sad to hear. Recall the poster from the AO as a nice person.

Sorry for UA and other family.

1 Like

Like YT, I remember interacting with her in the AO Baseball league, as well as other games. Seemed like a real sweet person. RIP :heart:

1 Like

This is a post MrPillow put on Facebook - he does a great job of capturing the essence of Pillow:

====================================================

As many, if not all, of you know, Pillow passed away on Sunday morning shortly after we returned home from Sunday Mass. The boys and I are heartbroken. We lost the center of our universe in the blink of an eye.

Pillow was many things to many people. She was an amazing coworker, a trustworthy, loyal, etc. Scout Leader, and a true friend and wonderful mentor to so many people. The outpouring of support from all the various communities that we are a part of has been completely overwhelming. I mean that in the absolute best possible way. The boys and I are so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful, giving, self-sacrificing people. I am so humbled and grateful for every email, text message, Facebook post, etc. I’ve read them all. I may not have responded, but I see them and they are amazing. Our refrigerator is overflowing. We will eat very well for quite some time. All I can continue to say is thank you and God bless you all! Pillow worked hard to cultivate so many strong friendships with so many people. Whether she knew it or not, she gave us the support structure we will need to get through this. She was open and honest with everyone. I was always jealous of her ability to be so open. I am so grateful for it now.

To us, Pillow was mom. Mom was our protector, our project manager, our medical dictionary, our saxophone instructor, our therapist, our sounding board and so many other things. Most of all she was my life companion. She never complained about another vacation centered around a trip to another baseball stadium or going to a random daily Mass on the way there (even at a retired nun’s convent). She loved working through the rules of another overly complicated board game with me. We were true soulmates in every sense of the word. We continued to date each other through 17 years of marriage. When the boys would drive us nuts, we had each other to vent to. God gave me 17 years that I will cherish for the rest of my life. She was a miracle. She was my miracle and I will miss her every morning when I wake up and every evening when I lay down. I will find a way to fill all those holes in our life and in our hearts. I won’t do as good of a job as she has, but I will do my absolute best. I will raise our boys to make her proud. I will need help but she made sure I will have it.

Thanks for reading and again for all the help, thoughts, and prayers you all have provided over the last two days and all the help you will provide going forward.

In closing I have a couple pieces of advice for everyone:

1. Get CPR certified. You never know when you might have the opportunity to save a life. Sometimes, even with everyone’s best efforts, it’s just not part of God’s plan, but best to have as many people as possible out there and prepared.

2. Let people in. Share your life with them. There will come a time when you need them and they will be there for you. I’m still working on this, but Pillow was an amazing teacher.

3. Don’t ever pass up an opportunity to hold the people close to you close and tell them you love them. At some point we will all reach our last opportunity in this life, and we can’t let it slip away. Everywhere I look I see a plan that will never be finished or a task left undone. It doesn’t matter. Spend time together. The other stuff doesn’t really matter.

7 Likes

she had young kids? She must have been younger than I had assumed given she was on the ao in the early days.

I didn’t know her well, but I remember her from the AO as a kind person with thoughtful posts.

how heartbreaking for her husband, sons and family. :cry:

2 Likes

She was 43; her kids are 13 and 12. Way too early for her to go. :cry:

11 Likes

oh wow, way younger than i had assumed. that’s terrible.

Holy fuck!
I do not recall Pillow (I have shit memory for that), but that’s all sorts of “wrong” no matter who it is.

Wasn’t Pillow (a very nice person indeed) responsible for snorkeling becoming a meme on the AO? :diving_mask: RIP

1 Like

I don’t think so. That was a chick who declared sex to be violent like nose picking and she would rather do anything else, and listed snorkeling as part of the anything else. I forget her name, but I don’t think it was Pillow.

Not how I remembered it. No, I don’t think Pillow would have described sex as like nose picking. But I thought snorkeling became the meme after someone (Pillow?) posted about her snorkeling experience and getting a faceful or mouthful of salt water. Intended as a very innocent post describing her experience in the ocean, but some interpreted it differently.

OTOH, I was surprised she was as old as 43, forgetting how long ago the start of the AO was and having had no contact with her since then. I know she passed the interest theory exam (now FM, maybe FM then) while she was on the AO, and most people would take that in early 20’s or so.

just remembered that chick’s name. it was duodenum.

there might have been more than one snorkeling incident on the ao.

yeah, most of the regulars from the early days of the ao would be at least in their 40’s at this point.

1 Like

Yes, now I remember that. But I don’t think it was the start of the snorkeling meme. Maybe it was.

brain aneurism or heart attack? really freaky hearing about what i assume was a seemingly healthy 43 year old just dropping dead one day.

I don’t remember who posted that, but I remember the post, and it was from a young woman, and I believe that was when snorkeling became a meme on the ao.

Hmmm, I wonder if it was me. This is vaguely familiar. I definitely recall posting about getting a mouthful of salt water snorkeling and people making a joke about it.

I didn’t realize that was the start of an AO thing™ though.

And maybe it wasn’t… maybe I stumbled into a pre-existing joke. I think I joined AO in June 2003 and I was in my 20s at that point. I don’t recall when I made that post though.

I really thought it was duodenum. TDA would know.

1 Like