Redlining and the Insurance Industry

My brother in law grows weed plants in his manure pile.

Canadian concepts on redlining are clearly different than the US

2 Likes

For example, donā€™t ice the puck!

2 Likes

I know this is CAS-specific, but just an FYI, weā€™re looking at some of these issues at the Academy as it crosses all areas of actuarial practice.

Iā€™m one of the people on this committee:
https://www.actuary.org/committees/dynamic/DSAC

and weā€™re investigating a lot of these problems in how they cut across multiple fields and not only P&C. Because theyā€™re showing up everywhere now, and the regulators are aware of this, too.

One of the problems with the ā€œbig dataā€ work is that there are lots of variables that are correlated and even if we never see variables that weā€™re not allowed to price/underwrite on, we may capture that.

Above, you referenced some old texts re: rate differences by geography from about 100 years ago.

Hereā€™s a map based on the 2020 census:

The main difference, perhaps, is some movement north and west, and perhaps less concentration in the SE as more non-black people move in.

And hereā€™s mortality related to kidney disease related to chronic hypertension (I did not pick this at random, obviously)

Iā€™ve noticed this with certain geographic patterns in mortality for certain age-adjusted rates for causes of death, not only with respect to race, but just knowing things like where I-95 is.

Itā€™s a good idea to be aware of long-term historical contexts of your inputs, and that can include redlining practices if that affects your inputs (or outputs).

Iā€™m not assuming CAS is going to ignore any of this (nor most P&C actuaries), if only for the reason that regulators are not going to let you.

This is why the Academy is trying to be active here, because some of the regulations being passed might cause some big problems with respect to underwriting/rating in general.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t find the materials that I was looking for, but the CAS library has a ā€œdedicatedā€ section to Race and Insurance Pricing.

However, I have copies of the material I recalled from the CSPA Exam. In many of the following, the material isnā€™t explicitly insurance, but I donā€™t think itā€™s too difficult to see how the issues can cross over to various insurance topics.

Another resource to consider wasnā€™t a ā€œfreeā€ resource. Itā€™s Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy Oā€™Neil. Chapters 6 and 9 were on the CSPA syllabus. This might actually attend to what Jerry was looking for as well since it also includes ā€œhard dataā€ to illustrate the topics/issues discussed.

2 Likes

Seems like there might be a ā€œfreeā€ course from The Institutes on Ethics:

Ethical Decision Making in Risk and Insurance

This is part of the revised requirements for the CSPA designation.

Given meepā€™s post (and interest), Iā€™ve tweaked the thread title to be more generic and moved this to the ā€œGeneral topicsā€ section.

2 Likes