Random Thoughts

Yeah, honestly I just didn’t pay enough attention in Complex Analysis to get a real sense of why any of it worked.

Looking at Wikipedia, mathematicians were disgusted at both negative numbers and imaginary numbers. And wrote treaties on how stupid it was to use them.

The use of negative numbers was like you suggested-- motivated in part by debts and credits. And in part by wanting to easily manipulate equations. Imaginary numbers didn’t show up until we started solving cubic equations, and it became clear that you could get a real number answer if you just didn’t mind some nonsensical bullshit on the way.

But again, a convenient way to solve an equation is not a “real thing” to me. But then there are “real things” that follow. Maybe I need to think more on Euler’s equation or something.

I guess the issue comes down to the same question twig poses-- whats a real life example of multiplying complex numbers…

I think there are good examples with electromagnatism - although I really am not anywhere close to actaully knowing what I’m talking about…

2 Likes

Isn’t the story that the Pythagoreans were willing to commit murder over irrational numbers?

2 Likes

This is more application - but I seem to recall in a 3Blue1Brown video he talked about how complex numbers are very useful in rotations (specifically he was talking about animation). Matrices can also work, but they are more clunky.

Actually - come to think of it - I think it was this video about Quaternions - which are useful in 3D rotations. (I’m not going to rewatch it to make sure though…)

Perhaps another approach to use with “negative” and “complex” numbers is to think in terms of vectors . . . including their offshoots of speed/velocity and acceleration. And if you’re really good, the jerk.

Avocado toast makes me think of DTNF.

1 Like

I suppose one example of a negative * a negative is flipping a thermometer upside down.and looking at how much it’s dropped to know the temperature increase.

By that approach, multiplying by i or -i would mean turning you thermometer clockwise or counterclockwise, and then looking at how much changed sideways.

Guess I should look at those links before I come up with even stupider ideas…

I don’t have a thread to announce baby mama’s recent engagement, so I guess random thoughts will do.

1 Like

I hope baby mama will be happy, leaving less time for deliberately making others not happy.

2 Likes

Businesses should really make a point of getting their name put on the caller id. This is almost an annoyed thought.

3 Likes

A twitter post said, “I’m proud to be a part of this story,” and I wanted to reply, “Thanks for not saying ‘apart’”.

I have an usually long list of reasons for why I don’t have any clean clothes to wear.

It took me so long to get here that I forgot what my thought was.

something to do with flu shots or costco

or maybe PE candidates.

I jogged my memory…now I’m out of breath.

It had to do with the PE candidates. I got three emails today encouraging me to “Meet PE candidate [Bob Ama].”

Unless I’m bad at reading, they are all men. That led me to think about addressing them here as “Messrs. Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe” and how I like to use the abbreviation/word “Messrs.”

That was my random thought.

2 Likes

Making a post so that #### doesn’t get prevented from making another random thought public.

1 Like

I love the abbrev. Messrs.

1 Like

I acquired some batteries. They didn’t cost me anything because they were free of charge.

Groan… that’s a total Dad joke.

1 Like