Random Thoughts

Ive been delaying setting up a monitoring system because I want something self hosted and hardwired.

2 Likes

What did you end up with? I’ve been considering it but have done very little research.

I didn’t do a ton of research beyond asking my friends what they have. I got Ring. I just need a couple cameras I can get notifications for on my phone, and it fits the bill.

One of my friends has Vivint, but she has a complete security system including cameras inside her home. Hers was professionally installed and she pays for 24/7 monitoring. We have different risks and concerns, so that’s not what I went with, but she’s really happy with hers.

As long as the deceased spouse has recent work history and has paid into Social Security.

When my wife died, she had been a stay-at-home mom for 13 years (because actuary), so no "official work history for the last 10 years on which to base benefits. So we got squadoosh. Helped that there was a life insurance policy which paid out enough for me to take time off work, but nothing ongoing.

4 Likes

Yes, true, good point. There do need to be work earnings in the last 10 years.

Well, you should tell that doctor to stick that colonoscope where the sun don’t shine!

1 Like

A doorbell camera won’t help me at all wrt car breakins bc you can’t see the driveway from the front door.

We also have some general outdoor cameras for the side and back of our house.

But cameras won’t do much wrt car break ins anyway, unless you recognize the person on the video already. Car break ins rarely get solved and aren’t prioritized by the local police here.

2 Likes

Mark Rober is on this. There will be a solution soon.

3 Likes

Wow…I haven’t had the bsod in a long time.

1 Like

I hearted this post because I feel bad for the other family and because it’s underscores the unrealized costs of the wildfires, but then I think this could be taken as ‘I like the fact all those cows are dead’ which is pretty morbid, unless someone had a really bad experience with cows once - in which case, they might have good reason to like there being a bunch of dead cattle.

1 Like

Our co-op student just liked my response to her question. This was on our internal IM software.
Kids these days.
I see a like as ‘I like this comment’ but I expect they’re more just indicating ‘roger. over and out’.

3 Likes

I’m really good at predicting who likes RoyWally’s posts. :crystal_ball:

7 Likes

There are so many possible interpretations, particularly when there’s limited “like response” options (like hearts here).

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Most likely

1 Like

What is my future like? :crystal_ball:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Anybody else notice anything about the logo in the upper right for this channel??? :thinking:

Kind of like one of the original proposed logos for the ol’ AO.

I see the “a”, I see the “o”. Kinda lost after that. :thinking:

How does the office tower fit in??? Because we actuarials work in offices??? :thinking:

1 Like