Random Sports Thoughts

Well, you have to determine the nature of your own injury. Could be broken, could be just a minor scrape. Best to err on the safe side.

I think the number of actual injuries on a fuh-baw field is more alarming than this. And, that no one seems to want to lower them. And that TV networks even cut to commercials, cuz money, and cuz no one wants to deter any youngsters from playing (or their parents from letting their kids play).

Have you seen the helmets they are using this year? (I assume you are talking football, while numbers was talking futbal ie. soccer). If not, sorry.

1 Like

Yeah, watching Hard Knocks now. “Lower concussions by 10%!!”

I just think complainig about acted injuries is stupid. Don’t watch.

I’m not complaining…just observing…kind of like the monthly “policy exhibit”-like report when last month insured was dead and this month they are in force…it’s a festivus miracle!!!

What’s the next sport to be broken by a video game?

Ross Chastain’s bold wall-riding move seals title berth; Christopher Bell wins race (espn.com)

So, I have a new tv and it comes with 1,000 internet channels. They’re mostly junk, and I rarely even entertain what’s on them, but tonight I came across “The Duke Challenge 2021”. Here’s a link to the final game.

It’s “carom billiards” which I had never even heard of before (that should come as no surprise as it wasn’t but for the YT algorithm that I just heard about snooker a few years ago).

Anyway, my point is I find it amazing that they can calculate how the ball they hit is going to carom off of the first ball, bounce off the cushions three times, and then hit the last ball. It’s mathemagical.

Also, I suck at billiards.

Yeah, I can see patterns in lots of things but I don’t have great spacial geometric awareness. I suck at billiards as well. Doesn’t really matter the game either.

1 Like

I have great spatial geometric awareness, I have terrible hand/eye coordination and poor motor control

1 Like

This is my problem. I hated playing pool or bowling when someone would explain what I’m trying to do. Yeah, I know what the goal is, I’m just having trouble executing!

1 Like

I recently went to an NBA game for the first time in…holy crap…thirty years. I was struck by how there were no food-vendors roaming the aisles. I was wondering if this is a basketball thing, a covid thing, or a this-arena-thing. I do happen to know that if you order from an interior-restaurant there that you have to do it via your phone.

On a related note, I still remember my first baseball game - Twins vs Brewers in the HHH Metrodome. “Beer here! Cold StrOHHHHHs beer here!” “ICE cold COKE!..a-COLAAAAAAAA!”

1 Like

were they really good seats? When i go to baseball, i order on an app and it is delivered

No, they were not. However, I did not see the usual concessionaires roaming up and down the steps yelling “Popcorn! Peanuts! Cracker Jack!” anywhere …even the more desirable seat sections.

They do have this order via app that you mentioned. I’m surprised they get the same amount of sales without pushing their product.

probably not, but upcharges

1 Like

Possibly because they block the view of an exciting/excitable game, and patrons complained so much they don’t do it anymore. Perhaps the return on investment (costs of the employee), was not high enough. Also, no one carries cash anymore, so it’s credit cards, so an even longer transaction time.
I think I’ve seen vendors between periods at hockey games. Mostly souvenirs, novelties, and party tricks. Not food.

Baseball, a bit more pastoral. More potential sales per walk up and down the aisle. And the walk up and down is not as steep, except for the top level, which thus has fewer vendors.

1 Like

I think you’re right on all counts…especially this one…in basketball and hockey the action is “nonstop” and thus concessions guy is more likely to interrupt the experience.

I don’t know who annoys me more-Joe Buck or Tony Romo…maybe booger mcfarland

OMG, seriously? Joe Buck and it’s not even close. I like Tony Romo.

What is “Whoever is calling the Aaron Rodgers game”?

I’ll take annoying announcers for $400

You listen to announcers?
I just watch the game, put the volume down low enough so I can’t hear them. And, since I’m on delay, I skip through all of the down-time chatter/“analysis.”
(I’m also usually watching sports alone, and have decent control of both the TV and outside inputs/spoilers.)

Where is the “NFL rules changes you’d like to see” thread?

Cin vs Buf game - Bengals have the ball at the goal line, Bills jump off-sides. The net-result is the ball gets moved about four inches closer to the goal line. My previous suggestion of the penalty resulting in a touchdown might be too extreme. Perhaps, the offense should get an extra down. In this instance, it was second down. They could have rolled it back to first down. If it was first down, it becomes zeroth down. If it’s zeroth down then it’s an automatic touchdown.

1 Like