Random Questions / Advice

I have a power bank. Right now my phone is providing the extremely helpful service of attracting all the bugs in my tent to its light. I can then kill them as they are easy to spot and on a smooth surface close to my hands. My phone is getting sanitized first thing tomorrow!

Bugs? Thermacell!

We love our thermacell.

Thermacells are definitely a fan club type of thing. They’re the only thing ever that gets rid of bugs, 100%, no muss, no fuss.
I sat 15 feet up in the deep coniferous bush bear hunting one year. I lasted about an hour in the heat and the air being black with bugs. Said eff this, climbed down and went back to camp. A couple americans came back at the end of the day which started the convo ‘you don’t have a thermacell bro?’. An hour drive into sudbury’s canadian tire to get a couple. Never looked back, been a fan ever since. And our family all has them now as well, and are in the same fan club.

Every time I’ve been camping I haven’t been less than an hour’s walk to our transportation.

(Well maybe once or twice when we slept out on a rock climbing trip. But that was definitely pre-cellphone days.)

[Googles “thermacell”]

These weren’t mosquitoes. I’m not sure what they were… bigger than gnats but smaller than flies. I think they were harmless… just mildly annoying.

Etiquette question!

Scenario: Coworker has a dish of candy at the edge of her desk where it is convenient to grab a piece as you walk by. Her computer is at the opposite end of her desk, and faces away from the candy dish.

Obviously if I am talking to her and take a piece of candy I say “thank you”. And if she is on the phone or away from her desk then I don’t. But if she is working at the computer with her back to me, do I interrupt her work to say “thank you” or am I rude for interrupting? Or is it rude to take the candy without saying “thank you” in that case?

I think you’re right to grab and go without the verbal interruption to her work.

3 Likes

Personally I’d probably feel ungrateful to grab candy without the person getting at least some kind of non-verbal thanks, but if I was the one with the candy on my desk I probably wouldn’t mind at all, so bit inconsistent.

1 Like

I would rather not be bothered, every time someone grabbed a piece.

If looking at you a mouthing of thank you or a wave is sufficient, if not looking at you, pretend I am on the phone. Thank me later in the day, when not busy

6 Likes

Are you people really bothered my someone uttering 'Thank you"?

How absorbed in your work can you be that a simple performative utterance will be disruptive?

ok not to say anything if the person appears engaged in other stuff.

Seems that co-worker is fishing for human interaction.
IM her thanks, then go back to gab when she’s not busy.

I think it would be more intrusive with an IM.

1 Like

This is at my paper-oriented client. No IMing!

How engaged? Typing in a spreadsheet? Reading an e-mail?

I can understand if they are on the phone. But I don’t see how a tiny “Thanks” is going to derail someone’s concentration. If they are that easily distracted, then maybe they shouldn’t have a public candy bowl on their desk.

(Side note: in today’s germy climate, it is safe or smart to let random people shove bare hands into a bowl of candies, wrapped or not (the candies, that is)?)

Meh, the virus doesn’t transmit on surfaces. We have a bowl of wrapped candy for clients in the lobby too.

1 Like

That’s why I regularly spray them with lysol.

[quote=“twig93, post:57, topic:2938”]
Meh, the virus doesn’t transmit on surfaces. We have a bowl of wrapped candy for clients in the lobby too.
[/quote]Then why do they tell us to wash our hands every 5 minutes?

It’s always a good idea to wash hands regularly, especially before eating and after using the toilet.

I don’t know that Covid makes it any more important than it already was. I think some of that stems from fear and misunderstanding and a desire to do something so that we feel less powerless.