Random Questions / Advice

bananas don’t get taken. they get mushed to hell in any packing situation. not worth the hassle.

3 Likes

Hmmm, already purchased and I’m already on the road. So they’re going. But good to know for future reference should this become a regular thing.

Maybe I’ll eat one in the car.

IMO, you can leave the marshmallows out. I’ve never “refrigerated” them…just don’t leave them alone on the dashboard if the hot, unairconditioned car because then you’ll have “JUMBO marshmallow” (singular)

Jumbo marshmallow (singular) is definitely what I’m trying to avoid. I only bought one package of baby wipes!

At what temperature do marshmallows become marshmallow? I’m sure I shouldn’t keep food in my tent, but it will presumably be cooler than the car, depending on how much shade there is. I wonder if I left the windows cracked in the car if it wouldn’t heat up as much?

Keep the bananas out of the cooler. As they ripen they release a gas that causes fruit to ripen even faster. So they will go bad faster in an enclosed space. This is true of many fruits and a good way to quickly ripen them is to put them in a paper bag.

No real advice on the marshmallows. Personally, I’d put them in the cooler because if I bought cheap ones, I can see the heat causing them to stick together. But my spouse doesn’t let me buy the cheap ones anymore because they tend to stick together anyway.

1 Like

Next camping question: do I leave the zip up windows open or closed when it gets hot?

Tent is in the shade so they won’t block much sunlight… maybe a little. I’m thinking leave open???

open…keep the air moving as much as you can…imo.

3 Likes

Open. Are u using a fly? I think that helps.

No, I have an instant pitch tent that has no rain fly. It has the old fashioned windows that have covers that zip around them. I like that better because I can zip them up for privacy when I want and then unzip them when I’m done.

The tents that are completely open with a rain fly don’t have that option.

That said, I did spring for the optional rain fly for this tent. I don’t technically need it and haven’t opened it, but from what I read, if you do happen to be camping in the rain, it’s nice to have the extra layer.

Are you really posting this much on GoA while camping?

1 Like

My tent:

For scale, the side uprights are over 4 feet. It’s about 8-9 feet at the peak. Sleeps 6 on cots and yep, that’s a woodstove chimney on the left.

And you can clearly see that my tent has a fly :).

:squintyeyes: Um… yes?

I always dork around on my phone at night before bed. Now I’m taking a break from swimming in the lake.

1 Like

I suspect you paid more for your tent than I did for mine… even after taking the currency differences into account.

My instant pitch tent is 6’ in the middle though… not too shabby for under $200. I don’t go camping enough to justify spending a ton of money.

And while it definitely didn’t go up in the 60 seconds that it claims (that is maybe the correct time starting after you get it out of the bag and rolled out and before staking) it still went up pretty fast. Slightly concerned about takedown though. I wanted to do a trial run before I left but didn’t.

We’ll see.

Most of the time when I go camping the cell service isn’t good enough to do that.

Charging my phone while camping is also a pain*, so I avoid using it as much as possible.

*Yeah, the car is there, but still…

Yeah, those instant popups are nice. My prospector tent takes 15-20 minutes to put up, and longer to take down, and is a two person job. And generally it’s a do-twice thing as we get it halfway up then realize it’s inside out or something.

But worth it to be able to stand up and walk around in it, change in a dry environment, lights, etc. It’s more a large room than a tent.
In fairness, I don’t camp at drive in campsites, not sure they’d even allow my tent there. We use it in the bush.

I have a couple extra batteries that I can plug in while I’m doing other things or even using the phone. And then put the batteries in the car overnight to charge on the connection directly to the car battery. Actually, I usually have one that I plug the phone into when I go to sleep so the phone is fully charged first thing in the morning and I have the other battery to keep it going during the day if it gets low while the nighttime battery charges during the day.

I am a bit amazed at the coverage I found at the various church camps around here I have gone to. But I also use the phone for maps (google skymap is a lot of fun with the youth) and navigation and pictures (and a flashlight) while camping as well. If there is service I might check on the news here or there but very, very rarely would I check the old AO while camping.

I have an iPhone, so no swapping out batteries. Depending on which car I have, the key might need to be in for it to charge, and I’m not going to do that overnight.

I meant powerbanks. Battery packs that charge via usb in and then have usb out to charge external things that can be charged via usb.

The one I linked to even has a solar recharging capability ideal for camping.

I carry my phone in my front pants pocket and sometime will put the powerbank in my back pocket and have the usb cable stretched between them when I’m in desperate need of a charge.

I guess that could work. I normally just don’t need it though. I’ve got flashlights.

If I turn off WiFi and cell service the battery lasts long enough. Maybe even turn it all the way off at night. In a pinch the car is an option.

Well, like you said, you have an iPhone. I have a Samsung while the wife has an iPhone. I am constantly charging mine while see seemingly* goes days without plugging it in.

OK, she usually plugs it in every night but I have mine on a qi charger at work and still seem to have to plug it in before I get in bed to keep it going while skimming the news while watching TV on the TV not on the phone.