Quitting a Job You Actually Like

Live that weirdo life!

Leaning into who you really are is the secret to happiness.

This is pretty much the only advice that matters.

People like me who don’t find happiness in their career will probably tell you to stick with what you know is good. Because I have no desire to leave my company or my role, it’s perfect for me even though I won’t be trying to advance in it, and that’s what I’m looking for.

But if you think this job will make you happy, then do it.

I also have a personal preference of not hearing counteroffers. When I’m done, I’m done. More money might tempt me, but in three months I’ll be back to feeling unhappy. But, I have only left jobs because I was very miserable and it was affecting my happiness in my personal life. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case here. If you think you’ll regret staying, don’t.

Right there is why you should move.

I absolutely should have taken this route. The VP is like a freight train coming at me and wants me to call her this morning at my damn leisure and instead I’m considering entering the fetal position.

1 Like

^“Personable”

The fetal position sounds like it could be leisurely :shrug:

1 Like

Counteroffer is in : +35%, bonus 22.5%, +2 level promotion

I cannot even.

But will you be locked into that situation for a couple years before you can move up again?

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

NA has a good point, because you need to twist this into, “well, why have you not compensated me properly for the past several years and why does it take my leaving to compensate me properly and give me work responsibilities?” Because that is what they did and are doing. They have disrespected you. They laughed at you while you toiled at lower compensation and they raked the benefits, like you were their slave.
Anything that dehumanizes them into evilness.

Your “damn leisure” doesn’t have to happen.

Nah, this is a unique situation. I don’t work for my current employer - I was on contract until my green card comes in (it might actually be in the mailbox right now). I was going to get this “counter”-offer regardless of another offer coming in.

That said, it certainly wasn’t going to be this high.

How close in pay is the new company’s job?

And, why Hilton?? (They were on that list, and yes, I picked a ridiculous one on purpose.) I mean, sure, heavily discounted hotel rooms and/or upgrades.

New company offer is: +20%, bonus 20%, Different industry… Senior Risk Industry Consultant, reporting to former CIO of Major Bank

What’s your real guess?

Marriott? They’re #19.

CISCO?

Fun fact : I just met a fellow current employer-ian GoActuary-ian. I told them they had the wrong Tiffany.

waves

They also volunteered to make this decision for me. Come on, mystery person - we’re waaaaaiting.

1 Like

I decided I’m not giving up this new opportunity just because I like my boss, and my staff, also the pay is great, and I can live wherever I want, and…

Anyways. I cried telling them this morning because I’m weak.

You are doing what you want to do, career-wise.

And something came up that was unmissable. Take it.
Your old company will live on.

1 Like