Probability Trump Dies Before Running Again

Disagree with the first half. Biden hid behind covid a lot last year. Making it very unclear how physically fit he was for POTUS. I really don’t think he would have been able to carry out a traditional campaign. The election is over, you can put down the swords and start to actually think about what happened. But the point here wasnt really about biden at all, I was just trying to point out that a 77 year old trump in worse health than Biden has no business carrying out a large scale national campaign.

very much agree with the 2nd half. Trump’s campaign literally almost killed him, and likely killed a shitload of others.

And, we have proof of that.

4 Likes

This would be :rofl: if it wasn’t so :rage:.

I think Biden benefitted from not having to do as rigorous a campaign as would be typical in a non-Covid year. Whether a more typical campaign would have been possible for him is essentially unknowable.

Biden was keeping up with the younger crowd in the primaries.

Exactly, implying he couldn’t is pure speculation. And I agree not having too did work to his advantage

I think people have serious misconceptions of how physically fit the average 77-year old really is. Biden is by most accounts much more fit than the average 77-year old, but I’m still not expecting him to go run half-marathons every day or crap like that.

Really, he ran a smart race last year: lay low, let Trump figuratively vomit all over himself, ride voter discontent to the White House. There was no reason to run all over the country campaigning and wear himself out; his best ads were courtesy of his opponent. He eeked out wins in 4 states that flipped results; we don’t measure who’s POTUS on the size of the W, we only care about who gets it.

1 Like

so now that you all got that out of your system…

do you actually think Trump is going to be healthy enough to run a campaign in 2024?

my whole point is trump cant run, but he will control who does.

Campaign starts in about 2 years from now.

I am not sure Trump is capable of admitting he can’t do something enough to not run, and the people around him are not capable of convincing him not to.

Trump started his campaign yesterday imo.

Only if there is something in it for him. Being a behind the scenes puppet master is not enough for his ego. He has found campaigning for President is very profitable, once that dires up I can’t see him caring unless he has the ultimate power

power like… make my kid your VP and I endorse you? Make my daughter sec. state?

I think he craves family dynasty as well and he can still pull those strings pretty hard.

Are we seriously talking about GOP nominees for president in 2024 when the new administration has barely even started? That is SOOOOO far off in the future that no one has any clue what will happen between now and then.

You do realize you are talking to actuaries, right? Most of us speculate about the probabilities of contingiencies for a living.

3 Likes

So? That doesn’t mean that we start speculating about who may or may not run for president years down the road when no one has any idea what the landscape will look like at that time. Let’s see how the next 3.25 years or so play out, and then we might have an idea. Until then, there isn’t much point in having that discussion besides people’s obsessions with Trump.

Actuaries love to predict - that’s what we do for a living. Look at how much fun we had with the driverless car thread and how horribly wrong some of those predictions were. (Well we would have had more fun but AO went down - coincidence?)

Easier to complain about the topic rathe than respond to the actual comment? Did you actually disagree with anything I said in that post?

Yes, I completely disagree and think your concept of “frontrunner for 2024” is meaningless except for a Vegas prop bet. We are done with the election for a while, let’s focus on what actually matters right now.

Good question. I’m hoping both Biden and Trump realize they are way too old by next election.

Or maybe that Trump does run but he goes downhill hard and that makes it harder for Trumpkins to move on to a new monster.

I should have looked at the actual post you were responding to, not a more recent one. Oops.

I agree being the frontrunner now is not much of a guarantee of anything, other than people aren’t moving along very quickly. I think HW Bush was more clearly done as President or the nominee after 92 than Trump is today.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Biden decides not to pursue a second term. I think it’s actually more likely that Harris runs in 2024 than Biden.