Powerball and MegaMillion Investors

Technically, they are both estimates. The CV is fixed based on the number of tickets sold, but the number of tickets sold is estimated. And often, they don’t know exactly how many tickets were sold at the time of the drawing. Then the Annuity is estimated based on the estimated CV and the estimated return they will get.

Do they still go out to insurance companies? I thought I read somewhere that they were creating the annuity and investments themselves and maybe hedging or buying insurance on the payouts.

Bought in - first time ever. But figured I’d throw my hat in the ring for a shot at $1.5B (or a couple hundred million)

We have a spot for one investor - someone is leaving after this bank reaches $0. I’d like to keep it at 10 investors (the nice round #)

Oh… maybe not? I was the Powerball commissioner at work for a while so I had a better handle on how it all worked then. We bought when the EV exceeded the ticket price, not corrected for the possibility of multiple winners because my model wasn’t that sophisticated.

But I don’t do that any more and I don’t pay as much attention as I used to.

And I guess I should have said the CV is defined, not fixed.

Think it will make it to $2B by Monday?

2 Likes

Estimated Jackpot

$1.90 Billion

They usually under-estimate the jackpot and revise it upward as ticket sales come in, so I think there’s a good chance it will make it to $2B.

Anyway, current Cash Value: $929.1 Million , so almost $100 M for each of us :grinning:

1 Like

And on it goes.

Power all.con
Stupid autocorrect
Powerball.com site is down.

Apparently the draw was delayed, and my state lottery still says “results pending”

Powerball site is back up now. Numbers:
PB 10

I saw an article claiming that there was no winner and it had rolled to 2.3B. But it usually takes a while (hours) for them to determine whether there are winners or not. The Powerball site is not saying it has rolled yet. But they have been slow updating recently.

1 Like

I just heard from wife that a ticket purchased in CA won

Ooh…I was right…it made it up to 2.04B

Suck it, db.

text1

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fminnesota-lottery-says-it-was-responsible-for-delay-in-2-billion-powerball-drawing%2F600223353%2F&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

text2

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fminnesota-lottery-says-technical-issue-delayed-2-billion-powerball-drawing%2F600224788%2F&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

tl;dr; Ope! Those darn computers.

Megamillions over $1B for second straight draw.

4 Likes

And a single ticket gets the $1.35B jackpot, sold in ME. Back to $20M tomorrow.

And Powerball is up to $416M for tonight’s draw.

2 Likes

1 ticket won the Megamillions jackpot tonight. So since the 1.35B was won last Friday, this winner gets 20M.

2 Likes

Poor guy…hope s/he can manage

3 Likes

One ticket doesn’t mean one winner. I bet a lot of the ticket sales are office pools. I was in a pool where if we won fewer dollars than people we’d “reinvest” the following drawing even if someone won the jackpot. (No new money at that point… just reinvested winnings.)

Still, even a fraction of $20M is probably nothing to sneeze at. If it was an office pool it might not be enough to retire though, depending on the age / number of participants, but it’d get you a LOT closer.

$20M is probably about $10M in “payout immediately” minus taxes gets you to around $6M. So if it’s a pool, hope that it’s a small one.

Even if it was, say, 30 people… that’s still $200,000 into your bank account. Like I said, not enough to retire (unless you were already pretty close) but enough to make a material difference.