Possibility or Paranoia

Staff color is apparently light blue in the default settings.

Alrighty then. I’ll just readjust the nationwide data so that it reflects NYC alone.

I’ve begun picking up on that. It will take some time to get used to.

I agree it’s messy.

My suggestion-- use Pew/Gallup to find opposing opinions on something that should be a simple verifiable fact. Research the fact and lie, and the new coverage surrounding it, it gets messy when you dig into the cultural signifiers or whatever, but you can at least start with something real.

Welcome. I was hoping you’d find us.

1 Like

I see a small shield right after your name.

And, I don’t know how to delete a post.

Blargh… my post was really not at all clear.

I was trying to say that regardless of trump supporters, I think there’s a deeper cultural schism in belief and values at play. I think I’m still slaughtering this. Trump supporters are a symptom, not a cause. They’re a pustule erupting on the surface due to a deep infection that threatens to make the whole body sick.

To me, there’s a divide between rural and urban areas (with suburbs stuck in the middle), that includes a lot of differences in values - not in the sense of “those people value racism” kind of thing, but in the sense of some people holding religion and family as sacred, holding patriotism and loyalty as a high-ranking value, while other people hold equality and social responsibility as higher values. The same mix of basic social concepts, prioritized very differently.

There are a host of other bits and pieces floating around in my head too. It’s a difference in core concepts around the is/ought question.

Ah, sure. I agree there’s values schisms – always have been, but sure maybe they’re growing?

But I also think shared facts made it possible to navigate those opinions.

NYC is a good data point since they were still in lockdown when the protests happened, while other areas were not.

That would be nice.

Where is the yellow and blue that i’m supposed to be seeng?

Assuming you’re referring to the different color for “official mod posts”, see
Link to Lucy’s “official mod post” above

How it appears depends on the theme you’ve chosen in your account settings.

If you go into preferences, interface, then you can change from “shades of blue” to either “light” or “dark”, in “shades of blue”, the moderator post is a slightly different color of blue, in “light” the same post is yellow, and in “dark” the same post is brown.

I don’t like either the “light” or “dark”, too bright and too dark respectively, but the “shades of blue” moderator color is not noticeable enough, and should be adjusted if possible imo.

1 Like

I don’t live in NY. Where I live, there was no correlation between protests and coronavirus spread, either. There was a ton of testing of people who went to rallies, too, and they had a lower positivity rate than any other identified group being tested.

I discouraged friends from going to rallies because I thought it was unwise and would spread the virus. I followed the data afterwards. I was wrong. The data shows that it didn’t. Helena, I don’t know what your source is, but I’m pretty sure it was wrong.

1 Like

I’ve asked SpaceLobster if they can do this. I think it’s a low priority, but I’m hopeful they can.

Yep. One that will always be there is self-reliance and independence vs. communitarian. My father in law had a rifle and a shotgun hanging on the wall in the kitchen. He wasn’t a gun fanatic, he shot (at) coyotes in the yard, raccoons in the corn crib, and would be willing to grab a gun when city dwellers might call the police. In my state, urban people want to outlaw fireworks because people disrupt their neighbors’ lives with them. Rural people figure they aren’t bothering anyone.

Thanks. I figured they are a source I trust.

I watched Social Dilemma on Netflix recently. It makes a pretty convincing case that social media is undermining democracy pretty much everywhere in the world. I was worried of a 270-268 result, and the flames that would follow. I think Biden won by enough that we have a few years to fix things in time for the next election, but without some pretty significant changes in some of these platforms, I don’t think we are more than a few elections away from something much worse than Trump. Nearly half of Americans were OK with Trump’s rhetoric, but he was never very bright and eventually failed at just about everything he attempted. Someone as toxic as Trump but a standard deviation or two smarter would be getting a second term easily. Social media has enabled multiple sets of facts to rapidly spread. The constitution was not written with that in mind.

Yeah, FoxNews has called the election for Biden… same 306-232 as every reputable outlet. They have a huge bias, but they do have some credibility at least.

And to be clear, it’s VERY good for the country that FoxNews is saying that Biden won. I think there would be a LOT more crazies out there claiming that Trump stole the election if they were beating that particular drum. Thank goodness they’re not.

FoxNews should be taken off the air.

1 Like

So is this where we are now? Hi guys.

4 Likes