Parent's Music

Mom: Fleetwood Mac, Carly Simon, Carole King, Whitney Houston
Dad: The Who, Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, Dire Straits, Supertramp

By the way, I discovered an exciting new way for me to feel very old: kids who are old enough to be on social media posting about how their parents liked some of my favorite bands.

2 Likes

My kids are still in the phase where they think my music is cool and ask for me to download some of them. I suspect that won’t last much longer for the 8yo.

You never know. My daughter likes show tunes, from shows that were popular when my parents were young.

Cool dad!

Country & gospel. Johnny Cash, some Elvis, any gospel quartet or family singing group who came to our church and sold cassettes, Bill Gaither Trio.

My dad liked those trumpet-based bands from the 60s that you rarely hear now - James Last, Bert Kaempfert and Herb Alpert. My mum liked her Reader’s Digest set of classical music. Makes sense that I ended up playing a brass instrument in wind bands/orchestras for many years.

The good ol’ days . . .

1 Like

My dad seemed to prefer the golden oldies. He had a lot of Sha Na Na ablbums but also a little Santana and the Doors. My mom was into 60s rock with a lean to folk. Beatles, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Donovan. She wouldn’t let me listen to her Hair album because I think she thought it had some bad language. Always told me it had a scratch and wouldn’t play. Now I need to find a pressing and see what was wrong with it.

Possibly the naked people.

Or, they’re all my kids.

Can you hear that they’re naked?

Dad - listened to some irish folk/traditional pub music when that show was on the radio. other than that, not much. was a fan of opera and would watch shows w AO’s Patience singing. Also, if you tried to talk through The Sound of Music when Edelweiss was being performed you got a stern look. He liked approximately 0 popular/contemporary music. Wait - Anne Murray bc she was from Nova Scotia (we had family tie to there). He was born in 1933. I suspect he liked Sinatra and the like.

Mom - listened to…nothing I can remember. Just a few mid tempo pop things is all. Born in 42.

My daughter (born in 2005) has a lot of music overlap w me. Son (1999) has less, as he seems to prefer more rap and some country.

I wonder if he would have liked the tv show Man In The High Castle

i thought of him every opening credit sequence. he would have liked it.

would not have enjoyed the scenario where the allies lost. the multiverse stuff would have really lost him

Ask your mom?

Can you see bad language?

I don’t remember my parents listening to music. I know my dad liked big band music. They like music, pushed us all to take lessons, introduced us to the Monfort Mission who they knew personally. They had a few religious folk albums. We had a stack of 78s that were almost all classical. I do remember one 78 record I listened to a lot as a kid had O My Papa song by a baritone on it. My early music came from my older siblings.

Saw this in my BBC feed. should be interesting, to say the least.

Just heard one of the songs. Not great, but not bad.

They are in their 70s…