Ohio House Bill 616

Hey, it’s science, and if you do not believe, then you are a sinner, and sinners get punished. Do you want to get punished? “Why punishment,” you ask? Seems the only way to get you to believe. Stronger people are right. That’s just science as well.

1 Like

I don’t know if “devisive” only applies to social sciences, but I’m starting a unit on human impacts on the environment and global warming is going to be a big part of it. I haven’t actually introduced that yet - we are starting by considering stories about increased flooding and droughts and how each of them are being associated with higher temperatures - but some students have brought it up. I’ve had several say “global warming isn’t real” already. I’m going to be trying to convince them that it is.

Aside: we were talking about water cycle stuff and ways that water can move from place to place. One student suggested “God”. I tried to politely say “let’s try to stick with natural ways”. She’s one of my best students (in an honors class), FWIW.

2 Likes

the way the bill is written just screams performative bullshit. if you want to make a law, make a relatively clear one. this and the Fl one are insultingly vague. if you lack the time to come up w adequate wording and explaining why it has to be done this way vs another, then stop role playing in govt and let someone interested in government and law take your place.

3 Likes

There wasn’t consistency in my theology classes. One teacher was a gym teacher who got roped into a religion class, the other taught geography but was also picked to teach religion.

I both was taught that the Flood put fossils on top of mountains and that dinosaur bones were pre-made at creation of Earth.

Trying to reconcile things like that is hard enough when you have educated scholars, let alone people who can’t spell Biblical names.

That sounds more like something the Devil would do.

Interesting idea, but the book of Job makes it very Old Testament god-like too. (I took this very far off-topic, sorry.)

How do we know THAT wasn’t the Devil, too??
All I know is that during Post-Masters coverage someone had the gall to make and air a “JobsOhio” ad. “Yeah, come here if you don’t want your kids to learn about anything to make them feel bad or confused or ask questions at home.”

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense.

I also went to a parochial school. It was so long ago that Christians who wanted to believe in a young earth could say that there are too many things the scientists can’t explain (like sea fossils high in mountains). But, we keep getting more explanations that fit together too well.

The other “young earth” approach is that Adam walked an earth that had “history”. He could see stars millions of light years away. Pebbles in running water were smooth. There were fossils already in the ground.

My impression is that the second was/is much less popular, but I think it would have been the better strategy.

So, I had a sub last week and he took it upon himself to tell the kids that climate change is just a natural thing and nothing to worry about. He was supposed to be following a lesson plan about how increased temperatures could impact water sources like ground water and snowpack.

At least now I get to emphasize backing up claims with evidence a bit more. We’ll be looking into ice core data next week.

The “it’s natural” thing has never had much appeal to me. Natural things are often awful and we need to understand them and stop them.

4 Likes

Snakes are natural, and their poisonous bites are natural, nothing you can do about it."

2 Likes

Venomous bites! Unless you’re doing the biting…

1 Like

You seem a bit older than me, but we made it to WWII in HS American History, late 70’s early 80’s.

Wait until I tell the story again some day about my high school’s English department. The notion that we didn’t get past WWI will make so much more sense.

:popcorn: