Nordstream Pipe theories

I have heard multiple theories about blame for Nordstream pipe… breach/blast/whatever.

I am dropping one here:

Not exactly political, but kind of. It may be an operational risk thing – having an underwater pipeline not being used for months may be dangerous, as it’s not having its regular maintenance. So it may all be accidental, and not deliberate sabotage by any nation.

2 Likes

is this a Pipe Thread?

9 Likes
this will get annoying

Episode 1 Yes GIF by Parks and Recreation - Find & Share on GIPHY

oh, I guess it doesn’t work if I put it in a spoiler

anyway, yes

yes, this -is- a pipe[line] thread

I assume there’s a biglong Russia/Ukraine thread where people are talking all things Ukraine, etc., but I just want to focus on the pipeline theories.

I have heard multiple conspiracy theories re: deliberate sabotage (Russia, U.S., Ukraine, Poland, France, etc etc), and I’m just linking a theory re: screwed-up Russian maintenance.

Deliberate sabotage theories are also of interest.

Do pipes break a lot? Do they explode when they break? How big are the explosions? What chemicals are released into the air after the explosion? Etc.

In terms of sabotage, I think the issue is that Russia doesn’t apparently have much to gain from blowing up NS. It was, arguably, leverage to entice Europe to quit the war over the winter.

Russia would very very much like to blame the US. It’s not a crazy guess-- the US has committed some terrorism before, during the cold war. But I think right now we have fairly little to gain (how much?) and we certainly would have a whole lot to lose if it was discovered we bombed the pipes. And it’s not like we’re great at keeping secrets.

So I lean towards Russia anyway, since they have basically nothing to lose. So if they consequences as a net positive, they’ll be in on it.

But there’s hundreds of other potential suspects to consider. Many with a lot to gain here. Many with not much to lose.

The thing is – do a lot of underwater pipelines get shut off for months in terms of flow? Just sitting there?

I’m still going for the incompetent maintenance theory. Just because Russians.

Thx Meep. Great read

4 Likes

Judging by the pics in the news, I’m going with Charybdis.

1 Like

Certainly natural gas accidents happen when people are distracted. Heck, just Thursday I was making folks and cheese for the kid, and got lost in a video game with my wife. You’d think the water would eventually boil away and the pot would burn, but instead a freak gust of wind blew out the burner. Eventually I smelled gas, even though I was on a different floor.

If something had happened, any reasonable detective would have thought: Russian Saboteur.

is that instant Soylent Green with cheese added?

2 Likes

Been watching the dahmer show and wanted to try a recipe…

1 Like

I am curious about the oxidizer that ignited underwater. Pipelines on land have oxygen around. Underwater not so much. If methane clathrates spontaneously combust, why are there not more undersea explosions in nature?

I don’t know enough about pipeline risks, but failed maintenance seems rather coincidental.

Remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day.

good thing it isn’t Wednesday - I’m fasting

Most people aren’t kosher in the first place.

1 Like

It comes as no surprise to me that long pig is treyf.

I don’t know if he’s been mentioned before but I’ve really enjoyed Anders Puck Nielsen’s thoughtful analyses of the war in Ukraine. His latest video is about the Nordstream pipeline sabotage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-0qJXyido

Brookings coverage:

The ‘U.S. did it’ conspiracy on popular American podcasts

Eighteen episodes in our dataset referenced the theory that the United States was responsible for the Nord Stream incident, with 14 sharing content about the explosions that was conspiratorial in nature, including 7 episodes wholly endorsing the United States as the most likely culprit. Only 4 episodes sought to refute the claim.

The explosions occurred on Monday Sept. 26, and the same day only two episodes linked the United States to the incident. But after a Tuesday Sept. 27 episode of Tucker Carlson’s show on Fox News, in which the television host laid the blame on Washington, podcasters picked up the narrative. The remaining 16 episodes in our data set that discussed the role of the United States in the incident all aired after the Tucker Carlson segment, suggesting that some leading political podcasters may be taking cues about which stories to cover from the Fox News pundit.

I’m not the least surprised that Americans are eager to believe any anti-American conspiracy.

Fixed that.

1 Like