NextDoor

I can’t even…

…give them a recommendation.

(From a female poster on nextdoor.)

Partners???

3 Likes

Presumably romantic/sexual partners? It would be pretty weird to research vasectomy options for your business partners.

1 Like

A male prostitute business maybe?

Are you in Texas?

I was more questioning the “s” at the end of the word than the choice of “partner” vs some other noun.

If you have multiple sexual partners, vasectomy isn’t really the best form of BC. You’d be better off with a barrier method that provides disease protection.

perhaps go with the “misread” angle: look up and provide recommendations for doctors specializing in mastectomy.

Or suggest they buy a couple of pedestal bathtubs.

1 Like

Yeah…don’t know if that was a typo or not.

I’ll clarify by adding that the poster is female.

The most frequent hot button issue in my next door is dog poop. Bagged dog poop left in other people’s trash cans. Bagged dog poop in green “compostable” bags being left on the side of trails. Dog poop in the lawn…

Lots of requests for service recommendations (electrician, auto mechanic, dentist, handyman, someone to do some weeding…) Lots of wildlife photos. Some lost and found pets. Restaurant recommendations/requests.

The only political posts I’ve seen are very local. A pot dispensary is coming, :oh_noes: stuff about zoning and large houses going up, or about apartments.

This happened in New York with their large park structure The Vessel. They closed it because people kept jumping off it for suicide. Do we really owe it to the world to make things ridiculously hard to commit suicide with/off of?

I think maybe there’s some merit to looking at the frequency. Is it happening once a year or once a week?

At some point the city probably does have a responsibility to make it harder, but I’m not sure where that line should be. The Golden Gate Bridge is still standing, but I am admittedly not sure how hard they might have made it to jump.

I think the accurate numbers for the structure in our nearby park are twice in three years. That doesn’t seem like it requires intervention, but then again, we are a lot smaller than NYC.

I’m not on NextDoor, but in our HOA meetings we have similar complaints about people leaving dog poop on sidewalks. For some reason it’s hard for the old people to understand the HOA can’t do anything about that.

But why would they complain about dog poop in a bag in their trash can? That seems like the best solution to me.

It’s someone else’s poop.

The post i looked at least night read, approximately,

“I help my elderly neighbor take her trash out, and bring it back in. And when i went to bring it in, there was a bag of dog poop in it…”

(Plus a lot more about the history of the problem.)

I guess it depends how much it smells through the bag how much it would bother me. But yeah, it’s sort of rude to drop your trash in someone else’s trash can, even if the trash you are dropping isn’t icky.

Yes. I know one time when I had an excessive amount of recycling due to buying a bunch of stuff online, I asked my neighbor if it would be ok if I added some recycling to their can on trash night. It literally cost my neighbor nothing since the can was already at the street and I added non-smelly stuff right before it was picked up. But I asked anyway to be courteous.

Dropping something stinky in a can that the trash company has already emptied without asking is extremely rude. In fact, even asking is kind of rude unless there’s just no reasonable alternative on the part of the asker.

When you’re walking your dog in your own neighborhood just freaking carry the dog poop to your own trash can.

If I’m out walking my dogs on Tuesday night (Wednesday is the weekly scheduled trash pickup), I might drop a bag of dog poo in a neighbor’s bin. I would never do it after the bins have been emptied. But more often than not I like to complete my walk with a couple of bags of dog poo - I view them as “trophies” so that everyone knows I pick up my dog’s poo and I never get blamed for any “landmines” left in other people’s yards.

I sometime wonder if these lazy people who don’t pick up their dog poo have ever thought about putting a couple of small rocks in a bag and walk around with their “trophies” in order to deflect blame from themselves.

Beside all the ubiquitous lost dogs and cats, my NextDoor is full of people asking for help in identifying snakes they’ve found lurking in their yards.

Is it copperhead?
Is it a garter snake?
Is it poisonous?

My dad quite often uses the neighbor across the street”s can. She’s a single older lady and my parents have a bazillion grandkids over all the time.

He also will put the can on whichever side of the road the truck comes down first, then refill it and put it on the other side.

They almost always do ours together (both sides of the street at once) but one time I noticed that they’d done my side and not across the street and I hadn’t gotten my can out in time. Wheeled the can across the street and sure enough, it got picked up.

Another time I left for work way later than everything is usually picked up. Saw that they’d gotten trash but not recycling… unheard of as the recycling truck ALWAYS comes first. Recycling across the street picked up, but not on my side of the street. Weird.

Shrugged and brought the trash can in and left recycling out. Came home to meet a repairman at like 3:30 and recycling still not picked up… which is like 10 hours later than normal. No one else on my side had recycling picked up either. Called the trash company and they sent a truck out to pick up at like 6:30 PM: 13 hours later than normal.

Glad they collected it, at least.

You got me to read this, which was pretty interesting: