NextDoor

An African swallow could…

3 Likes

Depends on how he gripped it.

Should I cause trouble by posting this link there?

tl,dr: maybe a large redtailed hawk could pick up something as large as 5lb, but they often struggle to pick up prey weighing more than a couple pounds. No way a hawk grabbed a 10lb turtle.

The redtailed hawk is the most commonly seen raptor here. There are plenty of other smaller birds of prey here that also couldn’t do it.

I think the only 2 birds that could possibly be candidates are the bald eagle and the golden eagle. I have never seen either bird in my general area, but have seen a bald eagle before on the coast in GA. No way it was a bald eagle, as that’s the most easily recognized large bird of prey. A golden eagle sighting would be extremely rare in GA, and one in an urban area would be even more unusual.

My bet is still that this story was completely made up. Why? No idea.

1 Like

Wanted to get rid of the beasts . . . and not look like the “bad guy” . . .

Look for “mystery” soup at the next neighborhood pot luck . . . :grimacing:

I’ve seen eagles in suburbia. Both golden and bald. And there’s a breeding pair in NH close to where i vacation. When they first fledged chicks, everyone was excited, and we got a lot of news. I’m pretty sure one of those chicks died in Georgia, hit by a car while eating roadkill. I remember being surprised how far it had traveled from where it was born.

Golden eagles do make it to GA on occasion, which is why I mentioned them even though the chances are very low. Bald eagles definitely do, but are rarely in this part of the state. They are more common on the coast. Any observer would easily know it was a bald eagle and not a hawk though so that’s automatically not it.

This article says that “a few” golden eagles winter here in GA, but only in the wilder more remote parts of the state. Never seen one here. I have seen them many times out in the Western US.
Keeping track of Georgia’s golden eagles.

Golden eagles are also so huge relative to hawks that I think most people would instantly recognize the difference

Note that a juvenile bald eagle (especially those less than 2.5 years old) may not be as distinctive as their more mature counterparts.

But they kinda look like huge hawks. That was certainly what I thought the first time I saw one.

We see occasional bald eagles here in SW ontario. We see a ton of them up in northern ontario, particularly on ‘gut piles’, the leavings when we harvest a moose. It’s not uncommon to see 2 or 3 feasting on the remains. If we get a moose this year I may set up a trail cam over the gut pile to see what shows up. I hear it’s

2 Likes

I’d be interested to see what you get on your trail cam

1 Like

:iatp:

caught last year at moose camp on trailcam:

2 Likes

WARNING: I spotted a suspicious “Karen” driving around the neighborhood with a load of books in the trunk of her car. I think she’s trying to indoctrinate our children with her woke books.

1 Like

Yeah those guys with their “Let’s go Brandon” signs are probably gonna chase me outta town.

But maybe not.

1 Like

The bars downtown seem to be for young collage kids

Yeah, I’m more into pottery myself

1 Like

I think a more witty response to the “collage” statement would be:

I'm more into papier mâché myself

Papie-eh Mach-eh What is Papie-ay Mach-ay?

Here’s the post:

I totally want to reply with…

Is that spread enough for you?

1 Like

To the person who put their pictures etc. on the corner of northwest corner of 1st St and 1st Ave and also the person who decided that they were the person’s who lives there and put them in that garbage bin which made it impossible for me to out my own garbage in my bin…SHAME! You should always take care of your own garbage and not put that on anyone else.

:crazy_face:

I totally want to respond to these posts & say something along the lines of “Oh. Sorry. I thought we were allowed to do that.”

Cross post to the juxtaposition thread:

2 Likes