News that makes you say WTF?!?!

would have sold at marshalls in 6 months for $15K total

2 Likes

news you can use – if you murder your husband, don’t write a book titled “how to murder your husband” (or, at least, wait til you’re acquitted – THEN write the book)

That’s how OJ proceeded

2 Likes

:rofl:
Let’s hope not!

1 Like

that’s exactly who I was thinking of

Should have titled the essay ‘How to Murder Your Husband and Get Away With it.’

1 Like

actually OJ was my second thought.

My first thought was Basic Instinct, a movie about a writer who was involved in a murder that paralleled her book’s plot. But it’s hard to think about Basic Instinct without thinking about that one scene.

My first thought was William H. Macy in A Slight Case of Murder

i don’t know that one.

Man fights kangaroo for 6 minutes with some of the struggle caught on video:

1 Like

A CA Appeals court has ruled that bees are fish under a state law designed to protect fish species.

Thought that said “ACA Appeals court”, and was confused because I don’t think that’s a thing, and if it was, why would they be discussing bees and fish.

Well, the law itself defined invertebrates as fish.

I imagine that may be beyond what the CA legislature thought they were doing, but in essence yes the law does define bees as fish due to language.

Fish are not invertebrates though, so by that logic… fish are not fish???

IMO, the law was written to include more than just fish, but without having to include the whole list every time the word “fish” appears in the law. Example: octopuses are not fish, but they wanted to include it as something they could declare endangered.

So, “fish” is defined as a list of types of animals found in the sea, one of which is “invertebrates,” which, I assume, was meant to include only underwater invertebrates, not ALL invertebrates. But, the law does not state “underwater invertebrates.” Ergo, bees are fish, according to this law, not necessarily nature.

Page 4 of this ruling:

Section 45 has been amended only once since 1969 – in 2015 (effective January 1,
2016), when the Legislature made nonsubstantive stylistic changes, modifying the
definition to read “ ‘[f]ish’ means a wild fish, mollusk, crustacean, invertebrate,
amphibian, or part, spawn, or ovum of any of those animals.”

I’m putting together a presentation that includes, amongst other topics, why it’s really important to get language right when drafting a contract. I’m gonna steal this as a fun example of not getting it quite right.

4 Likes

You never know.

has anyone read through the entire ACA yet? Isn’t it like 10,000 pages?

To be fair, she wrote the essay in 2011 and murdered her husband in 2018.

I wonder how much the essay (book) influenced the investigation or would they have focused the investigation on her and prosecuted her even without it? The essay (book) was excluded as evidence in the trial.