News that makes you say WTF?!?!

Rental car companies sold a TON of their cars earlier, and are now having a very difficult time buying cars to keep up with the rising demand due to a microchip shortage slowing down new car manufacturing.

2 Likes

We are headed to Maui in July, and thankfully we were able to secure a full size sedan for something like $60 or $70 per day. But I did see this article last week and checked… with Hertz, they had zero cars available for the upcoming 3-4 weeks. Beyond that, it was about $300/day for a compact for the dates I randomly checked in June, and I want to say $220/day or so in July.

We booked back in March, because I was getting super optimistic about the vaccines and what might open up. Back then flights were under $600 round trip from KC, and we got a VRBO on the beach for $150/night all-in.

I hope they know how to hold a reservation.

4 Likes

Father beats 5 year old son to death because son was eating dad’s own Father’s day cheesecake.

There is something seriously wrong with the system if this takes 2 years to get to trial.

2 Likes

High winds damage one of those glass bottom bridges in China, and a tourist gets stuck on the bridge. The picture of the tourist is the WTF moment as the guy is hanging onto a railing for life with missing panels and damaged railings all around him.

Poor guy, that would be terrifying

1 Like

They really keep this glass clean. You can see right through it. It’s like there’s nothing there at all!

2 Likes

Watch that next step. It’s a doozy!

2 Likes

Chicago firefighters are filming a burning apartment building when a cat leaps for safety from the 5th floor window. Kitty has no problem sticking the landing unharmed.

Chicago cat fleeing fire survives 5-story jump, walks off - ABC News?

38yo man gets a life sentence for possession of 1.5oz of weed

Let me guess, he’s Black.

Winner winner chicken diner. 39 year old black man with prior burglary convictions.

3 strikes/habitual offender law.

There are a lot of times when these types of laws are needed and some when they are not. This is a place where the clemency powers can properly be used.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any time they are needed. Someone needs to be in prison for what they just did, and their history, a judge can work with that.

And no one needs to spend time in prison for possession of cannabis. Our laws suck.

1 Like

I’ll preface this by saying that I support legal recreational marijuana.

In Mississippi, possession of 1.05 ounces of MJ is a felony.

Article says he had 5 bags of MJ, two of which had 1.5 ounces. That wording is pretty confusing. Two bags had 1.5 ounces each? (How I interpreted it, but I’m not completely sure… they might have meant combined?) How much did the other three bags have?

I don’t believe the law stipulates different penalties based on how the MJ is packaged… just the total quantity, which the article doesn’t indicate.

At a minimum he definitely had a felony’s worth of MJ, not a misdemeanor’s worth. And it was his third felony conviction. And he definitely had more than 1.5 ounces but it’s unclear how much more.

I wonder if they meant that he got life for having “more than 1.05 ounces” which would be accurate.

Source for MS MJ laws:

Note that 30 grams = 1.05 oz (approximately)

Even a felony charge seems a bit stiff for 1.5oz of marijuana, but some states do still have overly punitive penalties. A life sentence is absolutely ridiculous though.

I don’t know that repeat offender sentences ever make sense. Perhaps they might if only used for violent crimes where the perpetrator is clearly a danger to the public. But like Lucy said, I would hope a judge would consider this when sentencing anyway

Where the common sense gets lost here is, so what if the guy had 8 lbs of it? What’s he going to do with that much? blow up an fbi building? Or sell it to a few people who’ll smoke it and relax?
The only crime there is that no taxes were collected in the distribution.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Legalize it.