News that makes you say WTF?!?!

Right. They moved all the other animals, but left the hippos because they were too hard to catch. They are big nasty animals.

Tranquilizer darts? I mean, that’s a LOT of tranquilizer darts. But catching and transporting hippos is a thing that happens.

I imagine it would be a massive project. Get some veterinary students to help maybe?

I was thinking that the bigger issue might be that if whatever issue caused them to become endangered in the first place still persists… then it might not do much good and merely prolong the inevitable by a generation or three.

Might as well shoot them all, shipping them to Africa seems bizarre.

Eta, there are 125,000 hippos in the wild, I think we can lose 150.

Oh; I don’t know why I got it into my head that they were endangered.

I do know that the population in the village I visited in Africa twice had fallen to zero. The chief liked hippopotamus meat, and literally hunted every last one.

But it seems they are plentiful elsewhere. So probably not worth the expense of shipping them all back to Africa. Maybe encourage zoos to take them in? Maybe there are more interested zoos now than 30 years ago?

These hippos might be better suited to a 747-8 Freighter.

Well, you’d have to shoot them all. All it takes is one male and one female, and you’ll have to start shooting them all over again.
Also, kill them, then send the meat to the chief that twig noted. That’s called a “win-win,” but should be called “win-win-win,” because I also win.

Or maybe the military could send one of their C-5M’s. They could get all of them in one trip.

Well, if they could capture them. Which is one of the reasons the article gave for them being left on the land when all the other exotic animals were shipped off to zoos.

It’s been more of an ongoing WTF here, but it’s finally over. Remember that big cargo ship capsizing off the GA coast in 2019? It’s finally gone. It was the largest wreck removal in US history. It took over 3 million man hours to cut it up and haul it off.

I find salvage operations like that fascinating.

3 Likes

Aren’t all the state capitals west of Los Angeles?

Go west, young man, go west.

1 Like

Maybe not Juneau? What about Honolulu?

3 Likes

One of Amy Tan’s books ends with the main character on a plane from San Francisco to Beijing and the last line is something about traveling west to get to The East.

I remember finishing that book while traveling on the other side of the international date line and identifying with that line.

1 Like

Sounds like Joy Luck Club.

It might be. I’ve read several of her books and couldn’t remember which one it was. Perhaps the movie (which ends after she gets to China) is betraying me as I’m sure I’ve seen the movie more recently than I’ve read the book.

You know how they say that you prefer whichever (movie or book) you experienced first? The Joy Luck Club is an exception. I saw the movie first, then read the book, and while I love both… the book is unquestionably better since the movie omits 3 of the 8 stories from the book.

voluntarily recalled”…sheesh…makes it sound like they were considering just letting the essential oils do their essential duty of killing people.

The essential oils weren’t what was deadly about the air freshener. The bacteria was.

But yeah, the wording is awkward. I’m sure they meant that they did it before a regulator forced them to. Hopefully there wasn’t much debate about whether to recall or not. I think all business students learn about the Ford Pinto.

1 Like
1 Like