New Years Fitness Goals

To delay the date and severity of my impending stroke.

1 Like

Figured Iā€™d post this here to help keep myself accountable:

1. Weight ā€“ Current: 230lbs, Year-End Goal: 225lbs. Mainly looking for body re-composition this year.
  2. 1 mile ā€“ Current: 6:07, Year-End Goal: 5:37 (this might be ambitious)
  3. Increase aerobic capacity ā€“ A little subjective but consciously make an effort to do more 20, 30, 45 minute ā€œsteadyā€ workouts. Could be running, biking, bodyweight movements, barbell/kettlebell movements, or any combination of the above.
  4. Back Squat 1RM ā€“ Current: 375lbs, Year-End Goal: 415lbs
  5. Front Squat 1RM ā€“ Current: 315lbs, Year-End Goal: 345lbs
  6. Deadlift 1RM ā€“ Current: 475lbs, Year-End Goal: 515lbs
  7. Snatch 1RM ā€“ Current: 255lbs, Year-End Goal: 270lbs
  8. Clean & Jerk 1RM ā€“ Current: 305lbs, Year-End Goal: 335lbs
3 Likes

Two fitness goals for this year-

1. Run a half marathon
  2. Do a triathlon (probably start with a sprint, but may do Olympic if Iā€™m feeling brave. Bike part is my biggest weakness)

~1/4 of the way through the year and hereā€™s where I stand:

1. Same
  2. Havenā€™t tested. Plan on taking advantage of the warmer weather (hopefully) soon. Will probably test this late summer - early fall.
  3. Good, so far. Me no likey these types of workouts though.
  4. Got up to 410 last week. Very pleased with that and might adjust my EOY goal.
  5. Got up to 335 last week as well. Sticking with my current EOY goal.
  6. Havenā€™t done much with this, need to start working on it.
  7. Havenā€™t tested this yet but judging from the weight on some similar lifts, Iā€™d say Iā€™m on track
  8. Same as 7.

Overall, happy with where Iā€™m at but know I need to focus on a few things.

1 Like

How will you train for that? Back in the day, I had some success with 400m reps.

1 Like

Probably something similar ā€“ intervals and change them up to keep me interested. Sprinkle in a longer, steady run every once in awhile just to spice things up.

Side note, my office just returned our Peloton tread and Iā€™m actually pretty bummed about it. I really enjoyed their 20-30 minute interval classes and they definitely improved my overall fitness. I still have access to the app/another treadmill, so I can still do the classes, but the tread I have access to isnā€™t super easy to change speeds so it kind of puts me off to the idea of using that for Pelotonā€™s classes.

Halfway annnnddddddddd Iā€™ve been slacking.

1. Up ~2-3lbs. Iā€™ve been less active and havenā€™t been to my gym as much the last month-ish.
  2. On track-ish. Been running more often with the warmer weather.
  3. On track.
  4. Havenā€™t done anything besides doing some kind of squat at least once a week (when I make it to the gym).
  5. See #4.
  6. Still havenā€™t done anything, need to get going.
  7. Still havenā€™t tested. Back has been a little iffy lately so may wait until later in the year to test this.
  8. See #7.

Definitely need to get back in to the gym more often moving forward.

My year is basically finished, given the upcoming holiday season. Not exactly where I wanted to be with some of these goals but overall a good year.

1. Weight - Still hovering around 230lbs. Iā€™m ok with not meeting this goal, given some of the strength gains below.
  2. 1 mile - Didnā€™t get a chance to test. Tweaked my calf late summer/early fall which is when I was planning on testing. Bummer.
  3. Increase aerobic capacity - Nicer weather definitely helped with this as I was able to get out and enjoy some long (for me) runs. Also been hopping on the Peloton more often lately. Overall, pleased with the effort for this goal and going to continue this in to 2023.
  4. Back Squat 1RM - Got up to my goal of 415 about three weeks ago. Might try to add a few more lbs in 2023.
  5. Front Squat 1RM - Got stuck at 335. A little disappointing but oh well. May prioritize front vs back squats in 2023.
  6. Deadlift 1RM - Not a lot of work on this throughout the year but managed to get up to 505. Want to be more consistent with this in 2023 but not necessarily looking to add more weight.
  7. Snatch 1RM - Got up to 260 last week, short of my goal of 270. This is my favorite lift by far so most disappointed in this.
  8. Clean & Jerk 1RM - Only got up to 315. Also disappointing.

Not where I wanted to end up with a few of these but overall, improvement (almost) across the board so Iā€™ll take it.

1 Like

Fatsper needs to start exercising to get back to a more normal weight for my height. :sob:

'Tis close enough to the New Year for me. Probably going to start HRT in late spring / early summer, which will make me lose a lot of muscle mass so I need to work hard to both get back to where I want to be and maintain that.

1. Get my weight down to 190
  2. Get 5k time under 25 mnutes
  3. Get back to doing triathlons
  4. Take 5 minutes off my Falmouth tri time
  5. Do something new. A 10K?

Iā€™m probably going to start a bit of strength training (might need PT on my shoulder first tho) and ride a bit more mileage. Finding the time is the hard part. I can move the exercise bike and ride evenings, but that might be more effort than I want.

Goal, as usual, is swap about 10lbs of fat for about 5 lbs of muscle.

Started out strong, lost weight, got more fit, but then got injured. Put the weight back on, worse shape than when i started.

I cant remember the last year in which I didnt have some sort of injury hilding me back.

This year I would like to eat better. NYE is a great day to go ham and eat a ton, then start the diet on the 1st. It puts me in a decent mental space.

I would like to get in better shape, but with a surgery scheduled early in the year I know any progress I make in the next month will be undone in recovery. Itā€™s still worth the effort, but the motivation isnā€™t there. Blah.