New Music Game

During the off season I’m planning to post a couple anonymous polls about generation and music tastes.

Speaking of which, next week will be the last of the season! Anybody have an idea about how to re-introduce some artists that have been used in season 1? (I want to allow some of the to be chosen again but not a lot)

Disqualify the winners and second place artists.

Allow everyone else.

1 Like

Maybe each person who submitted at least one song can save one artist each.

I don’t know that he DIDN’T play Judas at some point, but on the original 1971 London Cast recording LP, Gillan was the title role of Jesus.

1 Like

Jesus/Judas two sides of the same coin right? Can’t blame for mixing that up after all these years. But Judas definitly had the best songs in that.

This is a tough vote. Seven I already knew and liked. I listed to them all and none of the 4 that were new to me were enjoyable to me.

So I have to vote for a song I like but a song that is not new to me. I cannot vote for my own submission, so I have 6 to choose from. Do I vote for the artist I like best or the song I like best. decisions, decisions …

Fairly certain I’m not getting votes. Just contributing from the heart - the album of my submission is truly a core memory for me, legitimately triggered an existential awakening.

1 Like

There are 2 I really like more than the others but can’t decide which I like more. Of the ones I didn’t know.

Damn it I thought the poll closed later today.

:frowning: well you can still tell us your thoughts

I was between Eric Johnson and Snarky Puppy, but Eric Johnson ended up being a clear winner for me in the end. Great song!

The only songs I’ve ever heard before on this list were Birdland, Sirius, and maybe Fire on High… Apparently I’m an odd ball here

Oh yeah my bad. I kept going back and forth between Joe Satriani Starry Night (I was familiar with Satriani but not that song), and Rodrigo & Gabriela who I wasn’t familiar with at all but enjoyed their Spanish guitar style. I think in the end I would have voted Starry Night because I keep going back to it enjoying it quite a bit.

OH and looks like i should have submitted Cliffs of Dover a bit sooner. Oh well. I rember seeing him back in the early 90s as an opener for Steve Miller & ZZ Top.

Yeah our winner @AbstractActuary beat you to it! I kind of screwed up managing my messages which ended up giving you a last minute switch, sorry!

Congrats to @AbstractActuary for winning 7 points this week!

@IPD
@OutdoormanNowActuary
@DeepPurple
@Rastiln
will get 2 points each

Winner is based on golf-style scoring, right?

1 Like

I had so many I considered for this one -
Allman Brothers - Little Martha, Jessica, and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother, One of these Days (wasn’t sure if this one qualified since it has one line of actual lyrics)
Frankenstien - Edgar Winter
ELO - Fire on High that I went with to replace Cliffs of Dover

And yesterday I stumbled on one I hadn’t heard in years that came up randomly on youtube - Rory Ghallager - Walk on Hot Coals Rory Gallagher, Walk On Hot Coals, Live On The Whistle Test - YouTube

I knew none of these songs except the one I submitted. Really enjoyed the Joe Satriani songs and Eric Johnson song

I appreciated the Joe Satriani music, but I felt like it was a display of guitar prowess, where as Eric Johnson was both a great guitar and awesome song.

Probably why it won him a Grammy and best new artist IIRC. :wink:

Some background on Lingus - The bassist wrote it in 2 days. The original drummer had passport issues and couldn’t make it, so Larnell Lewis filled in last minute and saw the sets for the first time on the flight over from the US to the recording session (basically learned the whole album in 7 hours and improvised). If any of you are into drumming youtube rabbit holes, go look at some of his videos there. He’s among the best alive today imo.

In hindsight, it was too long for this game. Was also considering some Andy McKee. Maybe another time…

2 Likes