New Music Game

Nice pick! I had never heard of her but she rocks! I kind of liked the original but have trouble connecting to old recordings sometimes. This vote was simple for me.

Those are quintessential “cover better than original” songs. Many people probably think Jimi did Watchtower first.

That’s a classic “what - that’s a cover?!” song. Many people are not aware of the Dolly Parton original, but I’m partial to Dolly’s version.

I’m disappointed that Bon Jovi grabbed more votes (1) than Jeff Buckley. I knew I should have submitted a live version, although given the competition this round, I don’t think that would have made much difference.

For me it was the opposite: I’m somewhat familiar with Tears for Fears hits but not so much this one. I feel like I’ve heard a few covers of it in the past 5 - 10 years that all sound more like the Gary Jules version. I liked hearing both versions this week.

Queen of the Cigar box guitar. If you liked Samatha Fish and old Blues google Samantha Fish and Buddy guy, she was on stage with him back when she was a complete unknown and totally shred.

This should be it Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Samantha Fish & Greg Guy Jam Voodoo Lounge Kansas City, MO 7-7-13 - YouTube

1 Like

Round 7: Submit a song that is featured in a movie or TV show.

The intention of this round is to have a song that plays a part in the movie, so like a song that plays during a movie as part of the soundtrack/background is not a good fit, but if someone in the movie acknowledges it or plays it themselves that would be a good fit.

I don’t know why but this one came to me really fast.

To answer a question about this round for everybody: The category is intended for you to pick from songs either created “in the movie universe” or real songs acknowledged in the movie. It just should be involved in the plot. So for instance “Twist and Shout” by the Beatles or “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen (from Ferris Buehler and Waynes World) would be good choices since they are involved in the plots of the movie. “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer (from She’s All That) would not be a good choice because even though it’s heavily featured in the movie it plays no role in the plot.

I was also thinking this but never mentioned it, let’s avoid musicals. Maybe that can be it’s own category later

Also to add another clarification (this is a tricky category eh?)

if the song in the movie is being lip synced to, or referenced to, or sung along to, then the song being judged is by the artist that plays it (I referenced the Beatles and Queen before because they are not legal entries anymore). If the song is being covered by a band or performer in the movie/show, then the artist is the fictional cover band (So if you submit a cover version of Bohemian Rhapsody being played in a movie, the cover version is the one that is judged). And original songs created by fictional characters/bands would be judged as heard in the movie/tv show.

Would, for example, “Purple Rain” be considered a ‘musical’ for purposes of this rule?

This question was not directed solely at @IPD. How are people interpreting this round?

For my submission, I submitted a song that was acknowledged by the actors. In terms of voting, based on IPD’s clarification, if one were to submit a song that’s solely the opening theme for a TV show, or part of the movie’s score, I wouldn’t vote for it unless it was a part of the show/movie.

Using Ramin Djawadi as an example, the Westworld theme would be a no, but in GOT, The Rains of Castamere I would consider.

Yeah I think I made this overly complicated. I just wanted to avoid songs that are played in a movie just because they are on the soundtrack, because I was thinking most popular songs are found on some soundtrack in some movie somewhere.

I’m treating it as one of the characters is singing the song in the show/movie.

So this is how I’m planning to treat it too, though I won’t discount an entry if it’s a normal song that people in the movie are acknowledging.

I tried to submit both Hurt and All Along the Watchtower. Two of the quintessential covers in my book. If I had thought of Mad World I would have submitted it. Absolutely love the Gary Jules version. So, so good. And it reminds me of Donnie Darko (speaking of songs from movies).

If I had been around to vote, I would have either voted for Hurt or Mad World.

I submitted Help From My Friends. I love both versions, but Crocker’s is more known and iconic because of Wonder Years (another crossover to this new round).

Both of these examples (Help From My Friends / Wonder Years and Mad World / Donnie Darko) as well as Bohemian Rhapsody / Wayne’s World immediately came to mind for me when I first read the theme. But it sounds like the first two would be judged negatively by the group based on further discussion.

Since they are both ineligible, can I get some clarity on whether people think HFMF/Wonder Years or Mad World/Donnie Darko would or would not fit the round and/or warrant consideration for voting?

Finally, taking us back to voting and the contest in general. People will obviously do what they want, but I think people should be voting for the best song in the round and/or the best song that fits the theme in the round. Totally fair to give a bump to something that is novel to you, but a 7 of a song should not beat a 10 of a song just because you’re familiar with the 10 and not the 7. If the contest was meant to exclude known songs, it would be more like our historical BotB which had strict requirements on who was eligible to be submitted. But it does not. So I think this is a case of people inferring rules that were not part of the original contest.

Trust me, I get why people have that bias. And I get that this is a “subjective thing” and people will vote how they want. And that this is a prizeless message board contest. So I get that none of this matters. But I’m a rules follower by nature. And I’m also a music lover who loves searching for and finding new music, but also very much appreciates the best music.

Well the title is “New Music Game” and that’s how I’m treating it. If you want to treat it as “Best Song” go for it. And apparently what is old hat to some, is new music to others.

But again, a non-Monetary prize on small message board being played by a handful of people so I’m not gonna get too worked up one way or the other.

1 Like

I don’t know if I would consider Mad World/Donnie Darko for this week’s theme since it’s more a soundtrack to the movie, but if it were Mad World/Riverdale, I would consider it (although that may be a musical-esque show and be disqualified… not as bad as Glee, but the cast sings probably 1 song every other episode).

I’m mainly here to enforce the “no repeating artists” rule. Other than that you can vote however you’d like. I tend to split the difference with best vs new. This last round I voted for Mad World even though Hurt was new to me and decent. I just like Mad World. But other rounds new to me music has won me over