New Music Game

:iatp: But I was already familiar with it (also had the English version as an alternate submission for the color round), so it didn’t get my vote. I do wonder how accurate the YouTube translation of the German lyrics is, because if those were the words, Nena should have written more songs directly in English.

This song is like the anti-Round3 entry - all chorus, all day.

TIL: “kiss me” in Japanese is “kiss me” or there’s such a thing as Japanglish. Also, No Doubt translated to Japanese = Shakalabbits

This round made me wish for ranked-choice voting.

2 Likes

Woohoo! I was worried hip-hop wouldn’t get anything on here.

I’m very disappointed in all of you.

Congrats this week to @YankeeTripper @Marcie and @Rastiln for earning points!

The next category is based on a classic thread from the AO

Round 6 - Submit a cover song that is better than the original

Already sent, lol. Took about 1 second to decide.

If everyone can submit the original song as well that would give us a nice comparison

1 Like

This non-English song round was really tough. I was really between Bilingue and Coraline.

I don’t post who submitted which songs, but you are always allowed to post in the thread what song was yours and why you chose it.

Also in case anyone was wondering, when I post the topic I never “submit” a song until everyone else already has. So mod shenanigans are kept to a minimum.

:iatp:

I ultimately voted for “Limon & Sal” but I also really liked the nano song & thought “Bilingue” is fun, too. I kind of wished I could split my vote among those 3. “Limon” was more my style & made me curious enough to seek out more Julieta Venegas to see what she’s about, which I think is the idea of this thread.

I recall that thread quickly devolved into “interesting cover songs” because there are only so many covers that are actually better than the original.

I posted Bilingue by Snow The Product. I’m a fan of hip-hop/rap, but also a lot of other stuff. I was worried it was too out-there, didn’t know if people here liked hip-hop.

I liked the smooth transitions between English and Spanish, especially in the second half before the outro (so I guess more the middle third).

Nano was just an interesting subgenre to me.

I didn’t get through all the song. Busy vacationing. But of the ones I listen too it was between the Mana song and the Ska/punk one. I liked both and will probably go back an listen to all when I get home. The Japan version of Kiss Me was also good.

Limon y Sol was a song my daughter had to learn for Spanish this year and I just liked the artist. I was torn between submitting the trippy original video which I did, and the one with English and Spanish lyrics.

I’m pretty much a fan of all genres, though maybe a little less so for modern country and hardcore. Usually like more upbeat songs but that certainly is not a rule.

I don’t really know how I’m voting, because like this round I picked the song I liked best, but previous rounds that wasn’t the case.

Also can I get a status update on the feelings towards bringing back used artists? Do we want to work some back in somehow?

I like keeping the used artists out personally, makes people branch out. Maybe if it got really oppressive after 15 rounds, but honestly I haven’t felt constricted yet. Maybe I’d have used Jimi Hendrix sometime.

1 Like

So do we exclude artists from the previously used list for both the original and the cover?

The original artist is allowed to be on the list. The cover is the one that can’t be

1 Like

:iatp:

Hendrix is an obvious selection for this round. Even Dylan regards his cover of “All Along the Watchtower” as the definitive version.

But I like the idea of forcing us to branch out.

Nice choice! The trippy video may have played a part in pushing this one over the top for me to earn my vote.

I’m wondering if, instead of the Italian/English lyrics video, I should have chosen the one with Natalie Portman scenes from “Leon: The Professional”?

Is it too soon to revisit the cadence of submissions & voting?

I still like the idea of a new category each week, but it feels like there might be too much time for us to make our submissions & not enough time to review the entries & vote.

But you’re the one running the game & I don’t know what your schedule is like, so maybe this still works best for you?