New Music Game Season #2

Who submitted the Swans and how have I not heard of them before now? They are freakin awesome.

I felt the same way about the category. Didnā€™t get a chance to listen as much as Iā€™d like before having to vote, so this is how it shook out for me:

• Songs I knew: Centerfold, PYT, Swans (all liked - 2 classic 80s songs + my entry)
  • Songs I kind of knew: - both liked
    • Wilson Pickett (didnā€™t know the name of the song or artist, but recognized the na na naā€™s)
    • Steam (never knew until now there are actual words besides ā€œhey hey goodbyeā€)
  • Song I thought I knew, but didnā€™t: Will Smith. This song was huge in the mid-90s but it didnā€™t sound familiar to me at all. Not my cup oā€™ tea.
  • Unknown to me:
    • Everything Went Numb - really liked the first 5 or so seconds, rest of song was pretty good
    • Maybe Tonight - pleasant, but kind of forgettable in my couple listens through the list. I might try to give this more of a chance later
    • Class - not bad, poppy but didnā€™t really stand out to me (did I mention I didnā€™t listen as much as Iā€™d like?)
    • Kiesza - I liked this one & ultimately voted for it. Of all my ā€œunknownsā€ it seemed the one Iā€™d most likely return to
    • Linkin Park - again, didnā€™t stand out in 1 or 2 listens, but Iā€™ll admit this one being at the end of the list meant it got less of my attention

Dominated this round

I got a vote! Appropriately, by somebody named @OldTimer! Should have submitted ā€œAll The Small Thingsā€ by Blink 182 in retrospect.

1 Like

I also thought about Blink 182 as a submission too. Instead I went with a song Iā€™d never heard of. Steam has a lot of memories for me from college, so I went with them.

1 Like

Oh no, Blink is going to be on the oldies stations in a decade or twoā€¦

:wave:

Swans are fairly obscure, or were until they had a bit of a renaissance to critical acclaim in the last decade. Itā€™s one of those ā€œbandsā€ thatā€™s more of a loose collective with a single creative lead. They had several distinct musical periods. In the early-to-mid-1980s they were pretty much just about noise. The song I submitted is from one of their early 90s albums when they actually used melodies, before they turned to weird experimentation. (A couple of their best albums, including this one, were out of print and hard to find for many years.) Their recent work is more post-rock drone, and they have remastered & reissued some of their earlier albums.

Congrats to @YankeeTripper for winning this round, and most others getting some charity points.

Round 5 - Submit you best pump up song

whatā€™s a song that gets the juices flowing, your blood pumping, ready to take on the day, take on the gym, take on a project, or whatever it is? Entries due by late Friday/early Saturday.

2 Likes

Also I promise to update the scoring at some point soon. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Perilously low on entries this week. Is it a boycott until I get scoring updated??

Iā€™m finding this a tough category for some reason. Donā€™t have a big group of ā€œpump it upā€ songs I listen to but a few that I do are from prior submitted artists but Iā€™ll get you one later today.

Yeah I actually just realized my go to pump up song is by and artist just taken last round. Gotta think about this one.

I think Iā€™ll try to get even more general next round

This is the easiest topic for me in a while. Pretty sure I have mild ADHD (not being flippant, I have a diagnosed sibling) and need to be tapping my foot 8 hours a day in order to focus. Have a big playlist of hype music.

Pump Up Song

0 voters

7 songs in this round Iā€™m not familiar with. Didnā€™t really care for 6 of those but will give them another go tomorrow. 1 I really like and have gone through several more from the artist good sound.

4 I did not know, 5 I did and I liked some but not enough to overcome my desire to vote for new music. 1 was a standout, I wouldnā€™t describe it as ā€œpump-upā€ music but itā€™s in that area and I dig it.

Only 2 I knew and not a big fan of either so will be picking something new to me. Had 2 I really liked that I need to pick between

I knew four songs, and liked 3 of them.

I didnā€™t know five songs, and liked 3 of them.

Voted for the one I didnā€™t know that I liked the most.

Overall, liked most of the songs in this category as I enjoy upbeat music quite a bit.

bump for votes!

Oh hey! looks like I got my first points this season

@IPD gets first place this week
@YankeeTripper nabs 2nd place
@Marcie @Rastiln @OutdoormanNowActuary split the 3rd place scraps!

One of these days weā€™ll get a great table of scores! I can see it now