New Music Game Season #2

Okay, what does @DeepPurple seem to think about this controversial category

LOL, that’s the 2nd song I thought of.

I think it is an interesting category… and if you think the number of eligible songs is a short list, I think you may be mistaken. Do some googling.

The very first album I ever bought (ok it was a cassette, as I have never owned vinyl) has a song that is eligible and I will submit it hoping that nobody has thought of it before me.

There is a great Deep Purple song that is eligible and I sadly submitted something else. I need an alt.

:iatp: off to the interwebs i go

Very even split on voting that round. I’m pleasantly surprised my submission got two votes (Nas) as I know that genre is something that very few (if any) of the participants in this thread listen to or like

I’m into the genre and the submission was appropriate. It was a close one among 3. I just didn’t really love that song so it got eked out.

1 Like

So if the nas in the lyrics go:

“Na na na na na…
Na na na na na…”

Does that count as 5 consecutive nas with a breath in between, or 10? :laughing:

That looks like 10 “Na”'s

So Hey Jude (ineligible since the Beatles are previously submitted)

Naaaah na naa na na na naaaaa…na na na naaaaah Hey Jude" looks like 11 "na"s which qualifies.

2 Likes

:iatp:

Oops. I auto-submitted this without checking, @IPD just disregard.

I have to admit after googling, it is surprising how many songs there are

3 Likes

I can’t see the votes. Everyone just says NaN%.

So we’re all just googling this? Making it a race to pick the best song from the list?

I liked the non 4/4 theme. Interesting beats. Something different.

2 Likes

Are you talking about last vote or making a joke about the Na,Na theme with NaN%?

Looks like you and I voted the same way again according to the little pictures I see under each song in the poll. So maybe there is something to us having similar tastes.

As for the Na,Na google fest, who knows what rabbit hole that will lead to. Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Nobody Knows, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na.

Now that I refreshed, I was able to see the votes.

Remember folks, the Na’s don’t have to come in the chorus. They can be snuck in there like in ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ by Guns n Roses (another song not allowed)

—hmm Guns N Roses not on my list? I know it was an entry. I need to audit!

Artists brought back into the season 2 pool from season 1:

Guns N Roses

Na,Na,Na,Na,Na, Na Knees

Sorry for the bum category idea, everyone.

My belated thoughts on the round 3 songs:
  • Bloodmeat: New to me. The interwebz told me this song is in 15/16, which would explain Rastiln hearing alternating 7s & 8s. Rhythmically interesting, but not my cup o’ tea.
  • Death Valley Queen: New to me. Sounded like 6/8 to me, but kind of a slower 6/8, could be 6/4. I enjoyed this one & it ultimately got my vote.
  • Heaven: New to me. Sounded like 4/4, but I guess the subtle hi-hats were in triplets, making it 6/8? Not a genre I’m a big fan of, but didn’t dislike this one.
  • Nothing Else Matters: Not new to me; like it. I heard 6/8, but could be 6/4? Surprised at how many people hadn’t heard this. It was a single off of Metallica’s super-popular “black album” (Enter Sandman).
  • Solsbury Hill: Not new to me; great song. Pretty sure this one is in 7/4. Was this the only “prog-rock” entry this week? Surprised we didn’t get some Rush or something.
  • Take Five: not new to me; classic in the “weird time signatures” genre. (It comes from an album called “Time Out” that’s all about stretching jazz into different time signatures) I’m surprised how many people hadn’t heard this before. It’s in 5/4.
  • The Becoming: my entry. YT, “March of the Pigs” was one of the first songs I considered for this category, but I didn’t go that way because I thought it might be too well-known and the chorus is in 4/4, with the verses using a 7-7-7-8/8 pattern. “The Becoming” is a lesser-known track, for a reason. The loud parts are in 13/8 & the acoustic part switches to 3/8.
  • The Eleven: of course I’ve heard of the Grateful Dead, but not familiar with most of their songs. This one sounded to me like it started in 4/4 then shifted to 11/something (?). I enjoyed this, but at 11 minutes long not something I’m going to seek out again. Did not enjoy the video, fwiw.
3 Likes

For those counting at home “Havana” apparently only says “na” five times in a row, despite saying “na” 71 times in the song, not even including the “na” at the end of Havana. Pesky “oh” getting between the na nas

1 Like