New Music Game Season #2

We can dance if we want too
We can leave our poll behind
Cuz if the mod don’t poll
Well he’ll get no vote of mine.

2 Likes

I would like to thank you all for reminding me why i hate dance music.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to make tables on this website? I can’t figure it out (didn’t try very hard to be honest). Want to create a table for scores in a nice format.

I thought just cutting and pasting from excel came out pretty good and easy. At least that’s what I recall from last year when I posted prelim results in the AO FFB Survivor game.

1 Like

I got it to work this way (without the white space between lines):

does this make a table?
test1 test2 test test test
Player Points
Mayan 40000
IPD 33
YT 3
Rast 1
Marcie 0.5

copy pasted directly from excel as an example. Website does all the formatting for you.

That looks accurate.

2 Likes

At least as accurate as the Mayan Doomsday Calendar!

2 Likes

So I thought I had tried the Excel paste and failed in the paste, but I think I tried the opposite actually, pasting from this site into Excel and that didn’t work.

Player Score Notes
IPD 100 Perfecto
Mayan 15 Good at tables
Marcie 12 Too young to understand
Yankee -2 bad baseball team
1 Like

it worked thanks everyone!

Can you tell me it doesn’t feel like the world is slowly ending since December 2012? Just runoff now.

I was close to submitting an LMFAO song as well, good memories dancing to that abroad.

Party Rock Anthem? That one was on my consideration list.

I really wanted to do Thriller, but MJ was taken. Especially since it was Halloween time.

I looked at the list of songs submitted and based on the titles thought I was going to vote for a certain one, but ended up going a different way after listening to them all.

Cotton Eye Joe: no
Dance Monkey: Not my jam, I’d probably be out on the floor at a wedding but not up my alley
Dancing Lasha: Thought I left my Youtube on 1.75x speed. Not horrible, not in my dancing range.
Footloose: Classic, don’t really love it though and it’s not new.
Rip It Up: Damn, this might be my vote. Feel like I’ve heard this but never knew what it was.
Sexy: Yep
Since U Been Gone: Can’t really see dancing to it
[pass on my submission]
Sweet and Dandy: Can see it in the right circumstance, not enough to beat others though

I didn’t like any of the new to me songs and I’m unlikely to listen to any of the ones I knew with any regularity so I just voted for the one that I thought was most OKish.

Was Justin Timberlake eligible? I was considering “Bringing Sexy Back”, but I just realized (via Youtube recommendation) that “Can’t Stop The Feeling” would have been the perfect submission for this round.

Didn’t hate the round, but didn’t have anything that I really wanted to vote for. Most I would stay on the dance floor for. A few I would leave the dance floor. Other than my own, not sure there is one that would make me get on the dance floor (and there are 20-50 songs that fit into that category IRL).

Summary

Cotton Eye Joe - This has a chance to be the perfect submission, because when I was in high school, and this would come on at a school dance, we would get super into it and dance like idiots.

Dance Monkey - I was happy this wasn’t “Brass Monkey” which is what I assumed when I first saw it, and certainly doesn’t make me want to dance. This song is actually a song on some music game app my kids play on the iPad, so I’m familiar with it. I actually kind of dig the song, but doesn’t really make me want to dance.

Go_A - Was this song made specifically for this contest (Go_Actuary)? One of you is actually a Ukrainian singer that does German covers? And it has nearly 2m views. Well done. It definitely has some draw. But again, doesn’t really make me want to dance.

Footloose - classic dance song. Not one of my favorites.

Rip It Up - Really enjoyed watching people dance in the 50s. Don’t love the song. Decent beat. I’d dance at a wedding, but this wouldn’t get me on the dance floor.

Sexy and I know It - Definitely gets you to the dance floor. Pretty cheeky video, too.

Since You Been Gone - Some slowness in between, but pretty fun when it gets going. Would dance to it. Would not make me go to the dance floor.

Solo Dance - I enjoyed this one. And I think it’s new to me. Not sure. Sounded familiar.

Sweet and Dandy - Hmmm. Not my favorite. Def not getting me onto the dance floor.

Both of those are great songs but they’re ubiquitous. Those of us voting for strictly new-to-us songs (maybe just me) would not consider voting for them.

On alternate songs, as is often the case, after submitting my song, I had second thoughts, & considered that maybe going a different direction with this one would have been better:

Understood, but for this round, I really felt like the prompt highly outweighed the other criteria (new to you / good music), since this particular prompt is not about the quality of the song so much as the song’s ability to make you want to dance.

Maybe taking my line of thinking a step further. If there is a particular prompt for a round that is fundamental to the nature of the song (e.g., makes you want to dance, different time scale) then that demands that you make that the top criteria when you vote. If there is no prompt, or the prompt has nothing to do with the nature of the song (e.g., from Britain, one-hit wonder) then there is more discretion allowed in voting criteria. As long as the song checks the box, pick what you want from there (e.g., how much you choose to weight “new to you” vs “quality of the song”).

1 Like