New Music Game Season #2

Alive with the glory of love was my submission. Its essentially his grandparents love story from the Holocaust. I always like those points of views where its like life is going on even during these times of atrocity.

Okay ill be busy tomorrow so to make sure I won’t miss it, here’s round 3.

Round 3: Submit a song without a 4/4 time signature

This means any time signature that is not 4/4. I’ll also accept songs in 4/4 that add beats in different spots when it’ll make you screw up if you try to count along in 4/4.

2 Likes

Seems yankeetripper and I have some similar taste.

good 4 u was a fun song but didn’t really feel “off” in the way I was looking for.

All You Need Is Hate was a contender.

If I had read Last Caress’ lyrics I might’ve voted for it. I didn’t fully catch it on a listen

In the end I thoroughly enjoyed Alive with the Glory of Love because it easily fit the theme and I’d still jam to it.

3 Likes

:popcorn:

Have no training in musical theory but want to guess at signatures. Don’t read until voting.

Bloodmeat: 7/4 mostly? Starting with 8/4. (Listening to it some more I think they transition between 8/4 and 7/4 more frequently than I realized.)
Death Valley Queen: 6/4
Heaven: 3/4
Nothing Else Matters: 6/4
Solsbury Hill: Dafuq? Like 7/something?
Take Five: Must be 5/something because the title primed me for it. My brain wants it to be 6/something and then gets slapped down every time.
The Becoming: 14/something?
The Eleven: I assume 11/something, my brain’s broken and I need to do work

My thoughts on all the songs - spoiled in case you haven’t voted yet.

Bloodmeat - new to me, liked the song
Death Valley Queen - not new to me, like it quite a bit, Drunken Lullabies is in the top 10 of albums I have listened straight through the most.
Heaven - I submitted, and I do like this one
Nothing Else Matters - new to me, obviously heard of Metallica but haven’t listened to much of their songs and never heard this song before. Really enjoyed it. It got my vote.
Solsbury Hill - not new to me. The best use of this song is in this video - The Shining Recut - YouTube
Take Five - New to me, did not enjoy it.
The Becoming - Not new to me, though it has been a long time since I listened to this song. Not a huge fan, though I liked a fair number of other NIN songs.
The Eleven - Another “I’ve heard of this band but not this song”. I did not enjoy this song, and yes I listed to the entire 11 minutes.

Guess I’ll also give my review (after you’ve voted):

Bloodmeat: My submission. Think it’s good for its genre and pretty enjoyable although not what I usually listen to.
Death Valley Queen: Have been to Flogging Molly concerts, enough said. More of a younger-me, but I like the nostalgia still.
Heaven: New, pretty good. Not a new favorite.
Nothing Else Matters: New, considering this for my vote still. Not my favorite but enjoyable.
Solsbury Hill: New, not horrible, yet not a fan.
Take Five: New, I like deep cuts. This has my vote today. Might swap it to Metallica.
The Becoming: New song to me. Not a fan despite technical skill.
The Eleven: New, definitely fits the theme, I just don’t like it.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to 3 songs. I only knew two other songs that were submitted, but they both made my final 3 list. Kind of a meh week overall.

Haven’t listened yet, but that could be because 4/4 is just the most naturally appealing.

My thoughts

Bloodsport - Interesting but just nto a genre that I care for that much.
Flogging Molly - I like this song. I could see me exploring this band much further - strong contender
Nas - A genre I typically do not like. But the chorus has me hooked and and I find myself humming along to the rest of it. Another strong contender.
Metallica - I’m familiar with some Metallica but not this song, which seems very different from much of their catalog that I am familar with. I like this song quite a bit, another strong contender.
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill is my favortie Gabriel song and I almost submitted it myself. If t here weren’t newer to me songs that I like I might vote for this one.
Dave Brubeck - This a song my wife’s boss put on our iPod years ago so it comes up from time to time. It’s a decent enough song, just not a genre I like very much.
NIN - Was kind of expecting March of the Pigs to be the NIN submission if they showed up. The Becoming just isn’t one of my more liked NIN songs.
Grateful Dead - Yeah blame me for The Eleven, which was named for it’s 11/8 time signature. I just love this late 60s jam song from the Dead which completely went out of their set rotation after 1970 until they played it at one of their final 2 shows ever performing under the Grateful Dead name. But even among Dead Heads you’ll probably find folks who love or hate this song. My wife who I originally met at a GD concert is not a fan.

2 songs I considered submitting that I’m a bit surprised weren’t submitted at all were Golden Brown by The Stranglers and Schism by Tool.

I don’t know how to blur but I can hide, so I’ll do that here.

I submitted Flogging Molly and they are one of my favorite bands of all time. The song I submitted is definitely not one of my favorites by any means, but I was struggling with the time signature category. They are absolutely worth looking into more. Their early 2000’s albums Swagger, Drunken Lullabies, and Within a Mile of Home are awesome.

1 Like

Click on the “gear” and you can Hide Details, Blur Text, Build Poll.

1 Like

wrap spoiler tags around what you want “blurred” . . . like on the old A.O.

1 Like

Without $s: [spoiler] [/spoiler]

Jeez, everything is giving HTML-style formatting. Tell me ‽ doesn’t.

Without ‽s: [‽spoiler‽] [‽/spoiler‽]

1 Like

Bump for votes! Voting til Wednesday mid-late morning

Was deciding between Nas, Take Five and Nothing Else Matters. Ended up choosing the one that was new to me.

Did not like this week’s selections at all. Let’s not try this category again please.

Okay, so seems like this week is a dud.

I’ll pick a category that sounds fun to me, and it was just submitted as an idea from another player.

For this week -

Round 4 - Submit a song with at least 6 consecutive “Na” lyrics.

The Na’s can be anywhere in the song but they have to be consecutive and there has to be at least 6. A quick look seemed to suggest there are a ton of songs out there where this happens.