NCAA Tourney Pick 9 Challenge - 2022

Gonna run this one back…

Pick 8 teams in the NCAA Tourney field to succeed, and one to fail miserably. Points are awarded based on seeds and how far they make it (or not). For the 8 teams you think will perform admirably, they get points for their seed number multiplied by the points selected for that round. You get 1 point for a first round win, 2 for the second, 3 for a Sweet 16 win, 6 for the Elite 8, then 8 in the Final Four and 10 for the championship. (Sorry first four, you don’t count). So a 10-seed gets 10 points for winning one game, 30 for making it to the Sweet 16, etc. But taking Gonzaga to win it all would only net you 30.

As for that lovable loser. Or Kansas, I still hate Kansas. They will get you bonus points based on how quickly they lose. A 5-8 seed will get you 1 point for bowing out in the first round. A 3-4 seed losing in the first round gets you 4, in the second round 2. Pick a 1-2 seed and they will get you 10 points for a first round loss, 8 for a second round loss, and 4 if they lose in the Sweet 16.

If you pick a team that bows out due to COVID, that will be considered a LOSS (not a forfeit). Let’s hope we’re done with that, but keeping it in because the NCAA still has those standby teams.

Place all picks here, scores will be tallied periodically, but not before Thursday.

1 Like

I know absolutely nothing about who is good right now, but I’ll throw some darts:

Kansas
Wisconsin
Gonzaga
Alabama
Texas
Arizona
Colorado State
UCLA

Illinois

Gonzaga (1)
Arizona (1)
Saint Mary’s (5)
Murray St (7)
Michigan St (7)
Virginia Tech (11)
South Dakota St (13)
Vermont (13)

Duke (2)

Houston
Tennessee
Texas Tech
Iowa
LSU
Michigan
Loyola
Virginia Tech

Arizona

Whoa… Michigan/Arizona picks are very against the consensus. I like it.

Montana St.
Davidson
Virgina Tech
Murray St.
UAB
Loyola Chicago
Richmond
Iowa State

Texas Tech

Duke
Loyola Chicago
USC
Virginia Tech
Kentucky
UCLA
Arizona
Colorado State

Auburn

Duke
UConn
Arizona
Houston
Tenn
SD St
Kentucky
UNC

Baylor (although head tells me to flip a coin between Kansas and Illinois)

Whatever happened to TakeNine? I guess he never migrated to GoA…

St. Mary’s
North Carolina
Texas Tech
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
Vermont
South Dakota St
Michigan State

Duke

#4 UCLA
#5 Iowa
#5 Houston
#6 Louisiana State
#10 Loyola (Illinois)
#11 Michigan
#11 Virginia Tech
#12 Indiana

#2 Villanova

#1 Gonzaga
#2 Kentucky
#3 Tennessee
#5 Houston
#5 Iowa
#7 USC
#8 North Carolina
#11 Virginia Tech

#4 Providence

1 Gonzaga
5 Iowa
5 St Mary’s
6 Texas
10 Davidson
10 Loyola Chicago
13 S Dakota St
13 Chattanooga

Early out: 1 Kansas

1 Gonzaga
1 Arizona
4 UCLA
5 Iowa
6 LSU
11 Virginia Tech
11 Michigan
13 Vermont

2 Auburn

The consensus on Michigan has changed a lot since the brackets were revealed. I’m on board now too!

Colorado St has one of the best players in the country (David Roddy) but that’s it. They will lose any game in the tournament where he doesn’t play well. So I think Michigan has good chances in the first game and then who knows (though it looks like I didn’t even pick them in this game)

2 Duke
3 Wisconsin
3 Purdue
3 Tennessee
12 Indiana
12 New Mexico St
13 Vermont
13 South Dakota State

1 Kansas

Because I’m happy they came back and I got to watch from a bar…

Arby, PatientZombie, Jahiegel 11
Everyone else 0

(results through 1 game)

Am I the only one to score Richmond? Sweet I’ll take my 12-11 lead as this is probably the last time I’ll be close to the top!

No one took KY at the bottom