My simple solution to reduce healthcare costs in the US

I think if we build more medical schools and train more doctors and nurses, price will decline because supply will go up.

1 Like

The AMA in the US will block that at every possible turn.

3 Likes

Also, somebody tell me why congress has anything to do with the number of residency slots. Just let the free market do its thing and hospitals will train more doctors in order to make money off said doctors.

Like uh, what literally every company in the US does.

1 Like

They throttle supply to keep wages high for their members.

Its really no different than Actuarial societies. They function as Guilds who throttle supply to keep wages high.

This only works because those “members” are doing work that cannot easily be replaced by technology (even AI really).

A good historical comparison are the weavers of the industrial revolution.

Also “highly paid” until technology replaced them.

2 Likes

100% and they have.

I could do an AMA on why healthcare costs so much in the US. I could write a book on drug costs alone. It’s death by a thousand paper cuts. I think the simplest answer is it’s a multi trillion dollar industry who uses their influence wisely in terms of rent seeking behavior.

6 Likes

do it plz

I will buy

3 Likes

My question is why doesn’t some hospital start training loads more doctors to make the supply cheaper for them, you’d think they would be incentivized to do that.

1 Like

Is there like a society that competes with the AMA? Maybe they can produce a market efficient supply.

Or maybe they will propose a merger every decade or so

and have flame wars on the Internet

1 Like

This one is a good read.

:party:

1 Like

People who are sick should figure out how to get healthy themselves. They’ll either succeed or they won’t; either way, DIY instead of asking paid professionals to help them will cut down on healthcare costs.

Follow me for more money-saving tips.

4 Likes

Obligatory Monty Python vid:

2 Likes

Just kill all the sick old people and then convert nursing homes into affordable apartment buildings. Plus social security and medicare would become sustainable. Four problems solved at once!

4 Likes

ah, it takes me back

6 Likes

this is actually the best solution to the homeless population. Just give them all unlimited free drugs. It’s the most humane thing really