My LG TV keeps losing its Wi-Fi connection

The trouble shooting guide says to restart my WiFi router, and that works. Except… I can’t do it when i want to watch TV and my husband is on a zoom call, or my daughter is watching a video with friends.

To be clear, we have like 15 devices connected to the WiFi. Three phones, several laptops, this TV and a stand-alone Roku device. Some other odds and ends of “smart” products. Nothing else keeps losing the connection.

Is this a hardware issue? Software? Is there anything i can do about it?

I would guess at a hardware issue as a starting point.

How old is your router? Also, what bandwidth (and age) is available with your modem?

1 Like

The router is a couple of years old, and works great with everything EXCEPT the TV.

I don’t know the answers to your other questions. I can find out when i get home, in about a week.

OH! Also, how old is your LG Smart TV and can its firmware be updated?

Our LG gets finicky too, and it’s an older TV. We have it on a surge protector and sometimes I just kill the power, wait 5 seconds, and then let it reboot and it works. Other times we have had to re-connect to the WiFi and re-enter the password (which doesn’t change).

It’s less than a year old, and i just checked yesterday to see if there are updates, and it says there weren’t.

1 Like

Re-entering the Wi-Fi password didn’t work. I had to restart the router for it to reconnect.

(And our Wi-Fi password is long and tedious to type.)

Can you change it?

A few other thoughts to also check:

• Might check on DOCSIS info between your ISP and your modem. If your ISP offers DOCSIS 3.1 (or higher) and your modem is DOCSIS 3.0 (or older), you might run into some problems.

• If you have the capacity to “edit” your router set up, you might also check the volume of data going over various “channels” and maybe select one with a lower usage.

• Related to the above bullet, you might also look to make use of all connectivity points and distribute your device connections over the available ports. For example, my router offers a 2.4 GHz, a 5.0 GHz, and “guest” ports for each (so 4 total access points). 2.4 GHz offers longer range of a strong signal, but lower bandwidth; while 5.0 GHz is shorter range but higher bandwidth.

Not without my husband’s permission. :wink:

I’ll look into your other suggestions, thanks.

1 Like

I try to use cables for devices that are close to the router and depend on wifi for items i can’t connect physically. I do have one long run cable to a basement tv to avoid using an extender.

3 Likes

ITA. My tv is hard-wired to the router; as well as my computer.

I have an LG TV where the wifi just doesnt work anymore.

I think once it may have started up after doing a full reset of the TV and unplugging it for a day, but next time I went to use it, nothing again. Only a slight annoyance as I have an xbox attached to it and can run all the apps off of that.

You might want to upgrade your wifi router to something better, or buy a mesh system, especially if you are using the router from the ISP. This fixed some wifi issues that I had…while the signal was strong enough, I believe devices would compete for available connections and there would be occasional drop-outs.

I have a mesh system, and it works great. Except for the damn TV.

It will also be hard to hardwire the TV to it, because the main thing is in the garage. But maybe we could put a satellite next to the TV (despite the signal being really strong there) and hardwire the TV to a satellite.

1 Like

Is this a new problem?

My TV is probably 5 years old now. Wifi problems seemed to be a common complaint when i searched for solutions online. But my tv seems to show the wifi as fully turned off, it won’t even search for connections.

It’s a new TV. It’s happened several times since we’ve had the TV. (Less than a year.)

I’ve never had a TV where I thought the native streaming thing was worth a damn. Now I just put a Roku on everything and have pretty much zero issues. So that’s an option, I suppose.

1 Like

I have this same issue with my LG smart TV. Router is 2¼ years old, TV is 5½ years old. It periodically loses the wi-fi and then my wi-fi is not among the SSIDs in the list when I go to the menu to re-connect. If I wait five or ten minutes, my SSID eventually shows up, but otherwise, I have to key in both the SSID and password to reconnect. For similar reasons as Lucy, I’m disinclined to reboot the router.

For a while, I connected the TV via LAN, draping a long Ethernet cable over some ceiling light fixtures to reach the TV. But then the TV stopped recognizing the wired connection, so I went back to wireless.

Have you tried powerline? Far cheaper than satellite.