My Experience With Covid

Yeah, I don’t either. And I have enough injuries from car accidents that I don’t need to make it worse with Covid.

But… I currently have a runny nose and sore throat and sneezing. Most likely a cold. I can smell and taste and sneezing is rare with Covid. But I just came back from getting a test just in case. Hopefully it’s negative but I won’t know until tomorrow at the earliest. :grimacing:

:grimacing: good luck twig

i have not had a cold or any contagious virus since last february due to all of this staying away from people. i’d be freaking out if suddenly i had cold symptoms.

that does sound like a cold though.

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

Hubby is an essential worker and has the type of job that can’t be done from home so there is always the risk of exposure through him.

But he feels fine. Still… you can carry both cold and Covid germs while asymptomatic yourself. So I’m assuming that whatever it is, it’s all his fault!

I’m gonna feel awful if it is Covid though, because an elderly relative came over for lunch Thursday. I put all the leaves in the dining room table and she sat at one end and I sat at the other, and I have an air cleaner on the furnace and a HEPA filter running and we were wearing masks except while eating. But still…

Hopefully the test is negative. It feels exactly the same as a cold at this point. No issues breathing (or if there are it’s due to my stuffed up nose, not anything with my chest & lungs).

ughhhh, then hopefully it’s negative. that’s got to be a horrible feeling thinking you could have infected an elderly person.

Exactly. She invited herself over… was in the area and suggested she bring some take out from her favorite restaurant that happens to be closer to me than to her. And she lives by herself and is going plum crazy not socializing, so it’s like at some point you just have to take risks, you know?

But argh! Bad timing.

Good luck, twig. It does sound like a cold.

Thanks!

I’m normally ravenous when I have a cold and I haven’t been. I’ve also been having chills most of the day, which is a symptom of Covid.

But no fever and I can still smell and taste so… here’s hoping!

Testing place said 2-3 days. My neighbor got his results back in 30 hours last week after being exposed. It’s been 9 hours and I’m compulsively checking but of course the results aren’t available yet. I’m like a student waiting for exam results again!

The fastest testing places around here post results late afternoon the day after your get the test, in the experience of my friends.

(The slower places take 2-4 days.)

That would be nice!

Just woke to the sound of my phone dinging with the MyCharts notification. Test result in… negative.

Phew!

Think it’s turned into a sinus infection though, so I’ll have to call my GP when they open to see about getting an antibiotic.

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised at the hour. I’m in the US, so it’s the middle of the night here. I guess the lab (and whomever translates lab results to MyChart results if not the lab tech) are working 24/7.

Someone on my son’s basketball team came to practice 3 weeks ago and then went to the ER 2 hours later running a 104* fever and tested positive for Covid. I guess people still don’t understand don’t do anything right now if you’re sick. Anyway my son was on quarantine for 10 days and 1 week later woke up and said he felt weird and should get tested before going back to school. Took him 2 Saturdays ago and it came back positive. He started feeling well again Thursday, but he can’t taste anything still. I have read online that can go on for months. He doesn’t have much of an appetite for anything with no taste. It appears my wife and I avoided it and my daughter felt bad for 2-3 days but she was already quarantining so we did not get her tested since she feels fine now and cannot go back to school till Wednesday anyway.

Congrats!

That is an odd hour to get a phone call about a medical result that doesn’t require any immediate response. When my mother was tested we were told that we would get a phone call if it was positive, and an email to check the internet portal either way. So when we got the email and had to fight with the internet portal we weren’t too worried.

When can y’all leave quarantine?

Thanks!

It wasn’t a phone call. It was the MyChart app notification (and email and text but what woke me up was MyChart). Still… it means someone was up in the wee small hours of the morning working on it.

At a high school not too far from me, the principal’s son gets covid, and the principal decides it is best to go to school anyway and meet with students and teachers. Apparently you can get “cleared” of covid within a day of being exposed.

Earlier this year, a parent in my niece’s dance class decided it was OK to send her covid kid to class since she didn’t have any symptoms. My niece and her whole family ended up getting covid as well as many others in the class.

Holy cow… I would be demanding the principal’s head on a stick! She could literally be a murderer and even if she’s not, what a terrible example to set for the rest of the school.

Kids can go to school Wednesday with no symptoms. I guess no taste is not a transmissible symptom?

In talking with our neighbor who is a Phys Asst, no one actually does the quarantine rules correctly.

The way the rules read is you are supposed to quarantine for 10 days (its 10 days now, not 2 weeks right?) after your last exposure to someone with it. So if your kid tested positive, he needs to quarantine for 10 days and if his symptoms are better and no fever he is free on day 11 from either the day of first symptoms or day of test (whatever is earlier).

And since I am assuming you are not keeping distance from him since he is a kid, you would need to quarantine for 10 days after his 10 days are over. Same with his sister.

Did you/your wife get tested? If not, you should have. Probably twice if your first was negative.

And you said you never tested your daughter? You should assume she has it since she had symptoms. And she should be in quarantine for 10 days from her first symptoms.

For those discussing losing smell/taste, in my experience losing my smell was not an immediate symptom. It happened about a week after I first felt symptoms, when I was feeling pretty close to normal. And it only lasted for 3-4 days until it was back to normal.