Musk buys Twitter

No; I think we’re saying the same thing; I’m not claiming that Twitter could improve our political theater (hence why I don’t see how Twitter countering the problem).

I think your inversion there kills the point?

Lucy: The gasoline spill is important because it’s spreading the fire.
Vorian: The gasoline is not important, because it’s doing nothing to counter the fire.

Maybe you have some further point, but you gotta spell it out.

1 Like

No, I didn’t mean to imply that. Although I do think Facebook was important to his election. Maybe Twitter was, too.

Um… you are totally missing the point. In fact, a lot of people do what is convenient. It really doesn’t matter if YOU don’t use Twitter. What matters is that lots of people who do matter use Twitter. It matters what people know when. A lot of thought-leaders, in a lot of fields, use Twitter.

1 Like

Twitter doesn’t counter this, it exacerbates it. Which doesn’t make it good, but it does make it important.

He considered a Presidential run much earlier… maybe 1996??? Can’t remember.

What I do remember is that he made a big point of saying that he wasn’t going to run unless he was sure he was going to win. And when social media wasn’t a big thing… he didn’t run. And then when it was… he did run and he won.

And for some weird reason I recall that he was dating (but not married to) Melania at the time because I recall them asking her how she felt about the possibility of being First Lady. And I thought “how dumb… Melania Knauss will never be First Lady of the United States.” :oops:

– to eliminate it.

He was basically itching to run for decades because he’s that kind of guy.

For example he ran in 2000 but got almost nowhere.

Then later on he figured out saying crazy stuff got him a lot of free press and support and he ran with that until it got him in the office.

Oh, I must have been thinking of 2000 then. He was definitely unmarried and dating Melania, which doesn’t fit with 1996, but does with 2000. So I was off by one election.

That wasn’t really a serious “run”… more like he explored the idea, saw he was going to lose and quickly gave up on it.

The Apprentice happened as well. He probably needed that before he needed Twitter, or at least both in order to become a real candidate.

2 Likes

Agree

Yeah, I don’t really know… Garbage Reality TV was a thing before Twitter was a thing. It was similar to internet-trolling-- you shitpost in order to create fake drama. And it made titans of stupid assholes like Trump. But I think TV had more limits than Twitter, where you can shitpost 24/7. Could be wrong though, since the 90s only lasted a decade.

Maybe it was just a matter of time before we got President Jerry Springer, President Kardashian, President Limbaugh, etc.

:ctm:

1 Like

Trump will possibly be invited back to Twitter and he will use Twitter to promote Truth Social along with his usual self-promotion? New Twitter may be both a competitor and enabler for Truth Social?

Someone hasn’t been to Portland.

5 Likes

Trump has not posted on Truth Social yet, has he?

Seems like maybe one time.

Probably forgot his password and they forget to add a reset feature.

1 Like

Wasn’t his password: Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV? Maybe the punctuation or maybe spaces did him in.

Gr@bSom3Cat!

2 Likes

He’s already been mayor! (But that was BEFORE his career in trash TV, so kind of the opposite career progression as Trump… so far.)